• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Lightning win the Cup!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What a great series!

I am glad the Lightning won.

That said, as someone who had nothing emotionally invested in this series, I was standing, jumping, shouting, cursing, and throwing stuff around the room as I watched Kerry Fraser make a mockery of the game of hockey with one minute left. The hit by Andrew Ference was one of the hardest, meanest, and CLEANEST body checks you wil ever see. After getting dominated, St. Louis went flying horizontal into the boards, and his face (which was at waste level of Ference) ran into Ference's stick. Now, EVEN IF it would have been right to make that call, the call would have been "highsticking". However, Fraser called it "charging". By the rules of hockey, charging is when any player takes three or more steps, or leaves his feet in order to deliver a body check on another player. Ference did neither of the above... it was simply bone-crushing, shoulder-to-the-jaw domination of Martin St. Louis. To top this all off, this penalty was called with 1:02 left on the clock, with Calgary down by one goal in GAME 7 OF THE STANLEY CUP FINALS.

It was, without a doubt, the worst call I have ever seen in my life... in any sport, and at any level.

As a former hockey player who loved the clean bodycheck, I am absolutely outraged at that call.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I thought it was a good call, though I'm a little biased as a Lightning fan.

Anyway, it made up for the ridiculous call on Nolan Pratt that led to the Calgary goal. That was pretty friggin pitiful. Calgary was clutching and grabbing and holding sticks tonight as they did every game, and the Lightning never caught any breaks from it. The call at the end was the right call.

Comment

I was so disapointed. We were all rooting for Calgary to bring the cup back to Canada. But Tampa deserved that win. Calgary just didnt play their game for the first 2 periods and that was because Tampa was sufficating and relentless. Trapped good, forechecked awesome and got some incredible goaltending. It was great playoffs in general and good for the sport of hockey but I wanted to see Calgary win.
        97 SS #C007
        Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
        SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

163 year old Canadian to move to Tampa! Along with the rest of them, they still keep comming...

Well, our Canadians beat your Canadians!
          The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

I am sooo glad Tampa won...for a few reasons...

1. I am a Texan, and if the Stars couldn't clench it, then it might as well be a different southern team.

2. I'm glad that Tampa got to see their FIRST Stanley Cup Win. I am happy for them.

3. I'm glad that the great game of hockey will ge that much more attention in the southern states. It is definitely Canada's game, but it is nice to see it gaining popularity in my neck of the woods.

4. I got so sick, over the past month, of seeing dang near everyone in this town, whether they ever liked Calgary or not, jumping on the bandwagon and flying the Flames flag and wearing the jersey's just because it is the thing to do. Not to mention I got so sick of people, upon learning that I wanted the Lightening to win, saying.."Well, you that most of the players are Canadian anyway?" Who bloody cares!?!?! It is a team that is southern American owned, Florida will benefit from it, I don't care if all of them were Canadian. If there were so many Canadians on the team, maybe Canada should have been cheering for them!!

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6

That said, as someone who had nothing emotionally invested in this series, I was standing, jumping, shouting, cursing, and throwing stuff around the room as I watched Kerry Fraser make a mockery of the game of hockey with one minute left. The hit by Andrew Ference was one of the hardest, meanest, and CLEANEST body checks you wil ever see. After getting dominated, St. Louis went flying horizontal into the boards, and his face (which was at waste level of Ference) ran into Ference's stick. Now, EVEN IF it would have been right to make that call, the call would have been "highsticking". However, Fraser called it "charging". By the rules of hockey, charging is when any player takes three or more steps, or leaves his feet in order to deliver a body check on another player. Ference did neither of the above... it was simply bone-crushing, shoulder-to-the-jaw domination of Martin St. Louis. To top this all off, this penalty was called with 1:02 left on the clock, with Calgary down by one goal in GAME 7 OF THE STANLEY CUP FINALS.

It was, without a doubt, the worst call I have ever seen in my life... in any sport, and at any level.

As a former hockey player who loved the clean bodycheck, I am absolutely outraged at that call.
              It was a horrible call, just because someones face was lowered to where a stick can hit it doesnt mean its a penalty... he didn't lift the stick to hit him.. a bunch of BS.. I had no team to really pull for more in this series but I think Calgary got shafted on a few calls throughout

Comment

Originally posted by xero
                It was a horrible call, just because someones face was lowered to where a stick can hit it doesnt mean its a penalty... he didn't lift the stick to hit him.. a bunch of BS.. I had no team to really pull for more in this series but I think Calgary got shafted on a few calls throughout
                Bad calls go both ways--there were a ton of bad calls/no calls that went against Tampa (and every other team in the playoffs) as well. Happens in every game of every sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Supernova
                  Bad calls go both ways--there were a ton of bad calls/no calls that went against Tampa (and every other team in the playoffs) as well. Happens in every game of every sport.
                  this is true but without pulling for either team I just felt like Calgary got the blunt end of the deal majority of the time .. Just my opinion though

Don't worry though... My Blackhawks will be winning it next year!!! (haha I say this every year, someday it will come true )

Comment

Agreed... but that was the worst call I have seen in my life. The call on Pratt might be the second worst... but at least it didn't come with 1:02 left in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Add to that 10 years of hockey playing experience growing up, and I think I know what I am talking about
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                      The call on Pratt might be the second worst... but at least it didn't come with 1:02 left in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.
                      But it did result in a goal. Great series, though! You can't really ask for much more than a seven game series with two overtime games (including a double OT) that comes down to the final seconds!

Comment

But it did result in a goal. Great series, though! You can't really ask for much more than a seven game series with two overtime games (including a double OT) that comes down to the final seconds!
                        oh yah, I love the playoffs, its the best hockey you'll see all year, guaranteed.. especially this year with soo many game 7's and overtimes .. just sad we have to wait soo long for the season to start up again

Comment

Originally posted by xero
                          .. just sad we have to wait soo long for the season to start up again
                          I know.

Comment

I know.
                            there is some type of olympic hockey this summer isnt there? or world hockey tournament.. somthing like that

Comment

After being Blues fan for 30 years, then living in Tampa, I can tell you Kerry Frazier is teh same quality in every town--lousy. Ask any St. Louis Blues fan and he/she will tell you that Kerry Frazier has it in for the Blues too. I think Kerry Frazier is simply a lousyy referee no ma6tter which team you happen to root for, and the league would be better off with out him.
                              2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Working...
                              X