Manifold Studs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifold Studs

How would you go about removing a stud that holds the exhaust to the manifold. Like at the end of the manifold there are 3 studs that you put bolts on to hold the pipe to it. Lets just say I didn't use patience and kinda snapped one off lol. Will it pound out if I soak it with enough Penetrating Blaster.
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

thos studs are screwed in to the manifolds, the only thing that works good to get them out is a lot of heat around where the stud is, and slowly work it out with vice grips or an easy out
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Double nut it. Put 2 nuts on it and tighten them together. That will give you a way to grab it without messing up the threads.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

So pull it down? Like if you were under the car pull it towards the floor? I'm not worried about the threads the bolts already broken. Or do I have to twist it out. Are they screwed in or just pressed?
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

The studs screw in, you'll have to unscew it. You should coat the stud with PBlaster, bang on it on it a few times per the instructions and let it sit overnight. Do the same thing again and then try to unscrew it. The last time I pulled the exhaust I broke one also. Craftsman makes a stud remover, but if yours has snapped very close to the flange, there may not be enough material for that device to grab it. In that even, a small pair of vicegrips can grab hold enough for you to unscrew it. The trick is the PBlaster. IMHO, the best penetrant out there.

Comment

I definetly agree on the PBblaster. I soaked them today and will give it another shot of it tommorow then see what happens. They're both broken pretty short so its probably gonna take some vice grips to get them out.

Comment

Working...
            X