Falken ZE 512 vs. BF's KDW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falken ZE 512 vs. BF's KDW

I am having a terrible time finding some new tires for my 99' WS6. I had my set on Firehawks, but there are around. I can buy Falken ZE512's for $185 $CAN. Does anybody know about these things? I am told they were a consumer reports' best buy. They seem ok in any reviews I have read. They are made in Korea though, should that scare me? Seems to good to be true. Please help me.

Thanks in advance,
    Jamie

ps. anybody care to comment on KDW's?

I have a set of Falkens on my car that I just bought about a few weeks ago. I can't remember which model# they are though. Man....I hate hate when I can't remember stuff like that. Anyway, I like them so far. My only complaint would be that they seem a bit grabby? So to speak? Meaning that they seem to pull in the direction of any seam or flaw in the road that they happen to roll over on the outside edge, if that makes sense. But it may just seem that way because I had the stock GoodYears that were on it when it was new on there before I bought these, and they were almost bald. But the Falkens seem to have great grip in wet and dry. I have thrown the car through a few turns and have yet to break them loose considerably. They look pretty cool too with the V-pattern in the tread. I think I paid CDN $129 apiece for them at Kal-Tire, but that was a sale price. Great tire for the money, in my opinion. Hope this helps.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

kdw.

falkens sidewall integrity is not as good as bf good's....nor is the belt package stabilization...that affects cornering and crown edge roll over.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I'm a tire tech at Discount Tire

BFG KDW stand for dry and wet. kdws stands for dry,wet,and snow. kd is just dry. The speed rating, temperature, traction, is something you might want to check into . I know that kdw and kd are for speeds up to 186 and greater. kdws are for up to 168. Falkens are a good tire for the price, but won't last near as long, and not as stiff of a side wall. BFGs are made by michellin. Lets face it all sport car tires are expensive and only last about 30k if your lucky. If you don't plan on Drag racing and catching instant traction, or taking a corner at 100+mph then many discount tire employees recommend Falkens.

Comment

Thanks guys. I went with th BF's. They should be here early next week. $280.00 CDN each. I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Where in Canada are you from? I just picked up some KDW for $295 and that was the best price I could find around here in Vancouver. And I tried about 5 places.
            97 SS #C007
            Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
            SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

I live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. It is near the sixtieth parallel. We get to drive these things for four months in a good year before it is -40 degress celsius for the other eight months.

I wouldn't trade it for the world......

Comment

Holy crap!! That is the farthest north that I have ever seen an f body in all the time I have been on Camaro websites. At least in the summer you can drive for 20 hours a day(I think). And in the winter that cold air has to pick up some good hp
                97 SS #C007
                Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

We are approaching the longest day of the year, June 21. The sun doesn't set at all around this time. It makes for some late nites. There are actually alot of hot cars around here, considering the lack of decent pavement and the short season. A close friend just let go of his Viper GTS and bought a new Z06. My best friend has a 99 Camaro SS. My brother drives a 95' TA. There is one of the latest anniversary SS's around as well. The place is cool like that. Population is only 18,000, per capita, there is some serious muscle around here.

Comment

Holy crap is right!!! Yellowknife, wow!

It looks like the land is beautiful up there, I looked it up on mapquest and there are lakes and rivers everywhere...
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Yes, it is beautiful here, you are right about that. It is an outdoorsmans paradise. I am not into hunting and fishing but spend as much time as possible in the great outdoors. There is such an abundance of lakes and connecting rivers, we use a jet boat to travel the waterways. That is fun let me tell you. As for winter, snowmobiles are a common mode of travel. It is not unusual for a person's daily driver to be a high performance sled. There is only one street in the city where riding is forbidden, main street. You would never beleive this place until you visited.

Comment

Post pics
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I will find some nice pics to post the minute I get home from work.

Comment

Working...
                          X