Tires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires

So after driving in todays rain I am now admitting I need new tires. I have stock rims. I am concerned about traction on dry and wet pavement. Not concerned about snow traction at all. Do not drive it in winter....except for the occasional indian summer day. Plus my inspection is due this month and I am certain they will fail my tires.

Any recomendations are welcome.

DJ
    95 Formula LT1 6 Spd

Well of course there is:

Firestone Firehawks
    BFG KDW's

Those are probably the most recommended, but I like the new Cooper Zeon's. I have a set of there Cobra ZHP01's and I love those. The Zeon's are an upgraded version of the Cobra's.

They are awesome on dry pavement and around corners, and the wet traction is excellent. I have never once hydroplaned or felt like the car was anything but stable in the rain. I put the Zeon's on my wife's Formula. Both are cars are daily drivers all year long, and Coopers have been great. They are also cheaper than the Firehawk's and BFG's!

Also go take a look at:
    tirerack

my $0.02
    99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
    93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Firehawk SZ50s get my vote.

Comment

Firehawk SZ50 EP's

on my 2nd set, and no longer fear the Jersey rain! I tried them in the winter and went nowhere though. The wet and dry traction is worth the price. I had a pleasant drive into work this morning in the rain with no problem what so ever.
        1995 Firebird Formula
        (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Firestone Firehawk sz50ep's are popular here too. I just put some on a couple months ago. They have traction comperable to the BF Goodrich above and I've been able to drive up to 75 mph in virtual downpours. I haven't tried the KDW's yet, but I do know you won't go wrong with the Firehawks.

I'd also recommend you check Tirerack. Chances are nobody will be able to beat their price...even after shipping is included. I've ordered my last 2 sets from them and they both arrived in about 4 days. They also have extensive research online about each tire so you can make an informed decision.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

M/T

gee,, why dont ya look at the M/T indy profile and indy profile s/s's? (i think s/s's are rear only since they are factory equiped with a VHT equivelent.
            http://www.sounddomain.com/id/magnetheadz28

Kenwood Krc-335(soon to be HU)]
            Kenwood Kdc-c669 (soon to be cd changer)
            Lanzar Vibe 418 (subwoofer amp)
            Lanzar Vibe 218 (6x9 amp)
            Subwoofers: bazooka EL1204

Comment

wow

Quick responses guys, thanks. I have been poking around at tire rack today. What I have now are the BFG's...not sure which exact tire but I was hydroplaning at 50mph today on the highway...for a speeding masshole driver like myself thats no good.

DJ
              95 Formula LT1 6 Spd

Comment

what about the

Eagle F1 GS-D3.

I have narrowed my choices down to: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW or Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP.

I think I am favoring the Eagles then the firehawks with the BFG's in last.

In comparison the eagles seem to be above the others in every category.

DJ
                95 Formula LT1 6 Spd

Comment

also

I am stepping up from 16's to 17's. I need new rims bad anyway. My chrome is just all cracking and peeling. I am going to go with the Firehawk Rims for $1199 at SLP online. I see Tarie rack has the similiar to stock ones $1180. Not as thin as the firehawk style though.

If anyone knows of any firehawk chrome rims that I can get cheaper and still in new condition. haven't seen anything worthwhile on the auction sites as of late.

DJ
                  95 Formula LT1 6 Spd

Comment

The Goodyears have a treadwear rating of 280, the Firestones are 340. In theory, the Firehawks should last longer. In reality, that may be hard to prove as manufacturers tend to play a numbers game from time to time. Ken can probably shed more light on that subject.

Comment

Working...
                    X