Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking at a 71 nova...what do you think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at a 71 nova...what do you think?

I am looking at this 71 Cevy nova with a 307.
    It's got a little bit of body damage (passenger side fender and small dent on hood) It needs some TLC, but it comes with a holly 4bbl and edlebrock intake perforer series, new starter, has new coil, cap, and rotor, and slight either rera main seal or rear oil pan gasget (the rubber 'U'' shaped peice)
    he's asking 1400
    what do you think?

and where can I get a new fender for it, do you know?
    82 camaro x2:
    82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
    82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Novas are nice...dont kwno where you could get the fender, maybe a chop shop in Ft. Lauderdale Dont like the holly on the edelbrock though. In my opinion, the Edelbrock 4 barrel carb is awsome, in the 600 series, wiht the performer intake manifold. 1400 isnt a bad price, dont really know what they go for? What are the miles?
    -----------------------
    1994 Camaro
    -----------------------
    3.4 SFI
    Z28 interior
    Imco Exaust(its okay)
    Dynotech Racing chip(waste)

-----------------------------
    1978 Firebird Formula
    Pontiac 350
    Turbo 350 Transmission
    Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
    Edelbrock 4 Barrel Carb.
    Edelbrock 14" Air Cleaner
    Edelbrock Valve Covers
    Flowmaster Dual Exaust

Comment

Year One (I beleive) or maybe it's Classic Industries has a Nova catalog with many parts both orignial and repro. This includes body panels. You might also check on Paddock Parts.

Keep in mind that the 307 was not a strong performer in and of itself. The manifold and carb help, but it's not gonna blow the doors off anything without a lot more help.

Check the floor pans and trunk pan for rust. These cars were known for rust in these areas depending on the climate they grew up in. Same for the lower rear quarter panels. The body style is classic, and if you finda clean one with little rust, can be built into a beautiful car.
      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

also, if im not mistaking, the torque was kind of lame in in the 71 Nova, and the rear end was quiet light.
        -----------------------
        1994 Camaro
        -----------------------
        3.4 SFI
        Z28 interior
        Imco Exaust(its okay)
        Dynotech Racing chip(waste)

1978 Firebird Formula
        Pontiac 350
        Turbo 350 Transmission
        Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
        Edelbrock 4 Barrel Carb.
        Edelbrock 14" Air Cleaner
        Edelbrock Valve Covers
        Flowmaster Dual Exaust

Comment

Not Sure

but I think National Parts Depot may have parts / catalog you can download for Nova.
          I know they have them for Firebird/Camaros/Chevelle/Mustang.
          1967 Firebird. Needs a lot of work!
          1976 Black Trans Am. 400 bb, auto. 75% restored.
          2001 Black Firebird.
          2005 Legend Lime Mustang GT, SLP Axleback Loudmouths

"Cars are Like Parachutes, if the Main one fails, pull the reserve out "

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z

Check the floor pans and trunk pan for rust. These cars were known for rust in these areas depending on the climate they grew up in. Same for the lower rear quarter panels. The body style is classic, and if you finda clean one with little rust, can be built into a beautiful car.
            Exactly. Also check around the front and rear glass for rust, take a magnet and check the sheetmetal for plastic body fillers (if the magnet won't stick, it's not metal). $1400 sounds relatively cheap, there's got to be rust under there somewhere as a clean example even without matching numbers goes for more.

Comment

Check out: SS396.com (ground up), year one, the paddock, cars, original parts group, and the list goes on. if you wanted to go fiberglass up22.com (Unlimited products) makes a hole ine of products for the Nova, camaro, Pusstang, chevelle, ect..

71 is a good year the body lines still looks good, they changed for 73 and again for 75. . check the windshield frame above the rear view mirrior for rust as this is a hard problem to fix $$$. the trunk floor, floor pans, and rear quarters are also commin spots. look at the area around the wheel well opening.

The 307 was built as an emissions motor, the heads were crap and it was also low compression. you could always rebuild it, it doesnt take to much money to make a small block chevy a performer. you could probibly even find a junkyard 350 for under 200 bucks.
              --- 2000 NBM A4 Camaro SS #8156 ---
              3,200VIG, B&M 24K super cooler, Coated race style pacesetters , 3" TSP true duals, TSP Clear lid, SLP Smooth bellows, NX wet kit, CFN bottle heater, dyno tune purge, LS1 Edit, Auto meter & ZEX gauges, 160 thermostat, TB Bypass mod, !EGR & !AIR, Madman PHB & LCA's, NITTO 555R's

Comment

just thought i'd say that Holley is a great carb. an edelbrock carb is just a glorified quadrajet peice of crap that has been nickel plated. not trying so start anything just my opinion.
                --- 2000 NBM A4 Camaro SS #8156 ---
                3,200VIG, B&M 24K super cooler, Coated race style pacesetters , 3" TSP true duals, TSP Clear lid, SLP Smooth bellows, NX wet kit, CFN bottle heater, dyno tune purge, LS1 Edit, Auto meter & ZEX gauges, 160 thermostat, TB Bypass mod, !EGR & !AIR, Madman PHB & LCA's, NITTO 555R's

Comment

Working...
                X