question....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question....

Ok, I have a question. I own a 1999 Firebird, and when I put into drive it takes maybe 2 or 3 seconds to get into gear. This is the only gear it does it to. I took it into our local Pontiac dealer and had it checked out...and for the low low price of $99.00 they told me that they DIDN'T THINK this was a problem. Ok, I've driven 4th gen. Camaros and T/A's before and never felt such a delay with them. The Trans fluid was a little burnt and I had that changed. Does anyone else have a prob. like this with their car or see this as a potential problem. Maybe I'm just paranoid. What do you all think??
    Oh, and the dealer did give me quotes on a new Transmission
    NEW: 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
    1992 Caviler Z24 -Winter car
    1999 Firebird
    Ram air hood
    Full Borla catback exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Headers
    WS6 air box
    Shift kit
    Intake

One thing I have learned...

NEVER go to the dealer to have anything checked out. The last time I did that they told me I needed a new engine. The problem turned out to be an exhaust manifold leak, which is what I told them I thought it was!

I'm not sure what the specs are, but I've owned 2 4th gens and they never took more than a second to shift to Drive from Park. I'd suggest you look around for a good mechanic and stick with that person/business as much as possible. I generally stay away from chains for all but the most routine maintenance.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Hesitations are not uncommon. My Roadmaster does the same thing. How burnt was the tranny fluid...mileage since you last changed it? If the tranny fluid gets low or terribly dirty it does break down the coating on the clutch packs in the tranny resulting in them slipping. I take it from your post that it doesn't hesitate into any other gear. Do you notice slipping at all? Depending on your luck of the draw, some of the techs in the dealerships are not the brightest chrome part on the car. Is your firebird a base V6 or a Formula? If it was me, I would find a good reputable performance shop in town, and have them look at it and maybe get the linkage adjusted. Sometimes the electronics get corroded. I just had to change the input and output sensors on one of my cars.
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
      X