Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for an LT1 to run to cold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible for an LT1 to run to cold?

Ok I need answer to something of a myth I have been hearing. I plan on buying an Hypertech 160 Degree Thermostat but I heard that since the temp setting is so low it actually will reduce the life of my LT1. Something about the piston sleeves staying to tight causing the rings to go out quicker. I could understand this say if the engine stayed around 100 degrees, but the 160 thermostat should be hot enough right?
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

You'll find that even with a 160degF t'stat, the car will still run 175-185degF on the open highway, and if you don't change the fan on/off settings in the PCM, it will run 210degF in heavy traffic. Reset the fan temps, and that can be cut to 180-190degF.

Those temperatures will have no negative affects on the engine. The PCM only needs temps in the 120-140degF to go into "closed loop" control. Oil temperature will reach levels sufficient to drive off water condensate and other contaminants. Piston clearances aren't an issue... one of the supposed benefits of the hypereutectic piston materials used in the LT1 is better thermal stability.

You could actually lose HP by going to a lower coolant temp, unless you make corresponding changes to compensate. The lower the combustion chamber temperatures, the lower the thermal efficiency = lower HP. But, you offset some of this with less pre-heat of the incoming air. Throw in a couple degrees more timing, and you've gained a little HP.

There is nothing wrong with running the engine with the 180degF that GM put in the engine at the factory. The higher temperatures reduce emissions and increase fuel efficiency. It's just that a lot of "old school" people can't get comfortable with this concept.

We found in tuning my engine that it made the best HP with a 195degF coolant temp.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X