Accident and front end questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident and front end questions

I have a 95 3.4L Bird and just got into an accident on Friday. To sum up the accident, in a short sentence: my front right bumper hit his front left side that only damaged his parking light (if you're wondering what kind of car, its a late 80's Continental). Anyways, I need a new bumper, new fenders, new hood, new windshield, airbags, and radiator. I can't open the drivers door because of the fender and maybe the hinges are damaged. I turned the lights on and one of them is cracked and does not completely pop up. The other one seems fine but this HAS NOT been professionally looked at. I like the look on the 98 + Trans Ams, so I was thinking this.....If my front is fudged up, will it cost that much more to do the 98+TA conversion? Since I need the new hood, front bumpers and fenders, why not? I realize that this car may be riced with the non functional ram air hood, but I will eventually like to drop a a V8 in it soon, so it wont be that bad. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sounds bad friend. Insurance will probably total the car as the repairs cost nearly as much as the Blue Book value. If your going to fix her yourself, your looking at at least $6,000. In my opinion, sell her as is. Sorry to be so abrupt, but it's not worth the trouble. To convert to a V8 and fix the car...your looking at close to $10,000. You can get a decent 96 Formula for less than $10K.

You can probably get $2,000 in parts for the car now. Take the money and get another F-body.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

But you want to hear something even worse then whats already out? We talked to the insurance company and guess what? They said there isnt a Firebird on the policy . We have been paying for it but apparently it wont be covered. They have been checking further into it and have not gotten back yet. I just got the car a couple of months ago, sell now or keep it for a good project? I appreciate your words.

Comment

Honestly...sell it now. It's a shame you didn't find out sooner...the 3.4 has few performance parts available. The 3.8 was the way to go...assuming you had to have a V6. The cost would have been negligable too. I've seen dozens of V8 models available for next to nothing (well, $5k - $8K). The used car market is ripe with great deals since new car loans are dirt cheap. Pick up a 95 - 97 LT1 car. The motors are good for at least 100,000 miles. If your worried about the insurance, get a 3.8 V6. While not as fast, they have the potential to be. I would stick with a 96 - 97 model personally.

You'll save mucho dinero doing it this way. If possible, part out the car yourself on e-bay. A junk yard will rape you. The 3.4 is the problem. Converting to a V8 is not cost effective. However, the interior parts and body are universal.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I have looked around for preformance for the 3.4 and I realized how much I was screwed but what can I do now. Insurance is the reason why I didn't get a v8 in the first place. But without having a person look at it first and if I do sell the car, what is the best way to go? Selling the car part by part or putting the whole thing up on auction? I will try to get a person to look at it and get an estimate of exactly is needed.

Comment

If it were me...the whole car. But not to maximize money...but to minimize aggravation. As is, expect about $1,000 - $2,000. The body parts that are valuable are toast. The rear quarters have limited value. The interior...depends on condition. Leather is worth less than cloth since the leather wears thin on the driver's side seat bolster. The wheels and tires are worth the most...if in decent shape. Wish I had better news for ya'...
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Ill tell you everything that my car is and has. It is a 5 spd red bird with ttops. It has cloth interior which are in good shape and it has the engine off of a 95 3.4 camaro. I recently put a new cat converter to pass emissions with a sony aftermarket cd player. It has the stock hub-cap look rims with about 3000 miles on newer tires purchased a few months back. That is about it, nothing special about it except it belongs to me...at this moment.

Comment

I agree to part it out.. Some pieces are valuable..

keep your new radio for your next car

If you have the time a patience, you could actually do fairly well.
                sell:

T-tops (high demand)
                rims and tires
                seats
                dash & center console
                headliner
                interior trim parts
                door panels
                electrical components like the headlight switch, heater controls, etc...
                rear hatch
                both doors complete or parted out
                rear bumper cover
                Any and all other misc. parts.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Here is what the front of the car looks like now. I forgot to mention before, the body has gone through 92,600 miles while the engine has around 64,000 miles.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I thought you said the hood and both fenders were gone?

The hood and left fender look fine.

I change my mind now.... I think you could fix it yourself for pretty cheap. Start by removing all the damaged parts and see if the shasis is damaged. If it is, take it to a body shop and they will pull it strait for around $300.

Next, start shopping on Ebay and the online forums for the replacement parts. I bet you can get it ready for paint without spending much more than $1000. What you decide to spend on paint is up to you then.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The fenders will need to be replaced, the hood is bent in the back portion.
                      Attached Files

Comment

If the fenders were pushed back and interfer with door operation, I almost guarantee you're gonna have to have teh car put on a 'frame' straightening machine and have it professioanlly 'pulled' to get the unibody back in alignment.
                        2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

The driver side door does not open.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I disagree with the estimates. I'll bet you have a lot more damage than you think. Most of the inner bracing will need to be replaced. I'll bet your looking at well over $2,500 in parts alone.
                            Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                              I disagree with the estimates. I'll bet you have a lot more damage than you think. Most of the inner bracing will need to be replaced. I'll bet your looking at well over $2,500 in parts alone.
                              After seeing that last picture he posted, I agree. Too bad it is not a Camaro... I have a Camaro hood sitting around I'd practically give away.

I'd bet the car is totalled. It might just be best to part it out unless you can find someone selling an entire front clip for cheap.
                              Tracy
                              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                              Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                              X