Clear All

• whatcha think I'd run with....

97 z28, 6 speed

magnaflow catback exhaust
    4:10 gear
    58mm tb
    cold air intake

I'm hoping to get into the 12's.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

also, will traction be a problem? I'm thinking that will be my biggest problem.

Might go with drag radials if I have to.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

I would estimate...on a sea-level track...about 14.0 at 98 mph.

You've got a lot to do to see 12's. Approximately $5,000 worth of work...unless your into Nitrous.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I though LT1's ran 14 stock, i wouldve guessed like 13.6. Only way to find out though is to take it to the track. Also depends on your shifting
        2006 Saturn Ion Redline
        2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Most stock LT1's ran 14.2 at 97 mph...most. The 58 mm TB is actually not a good mod...without intake & exhaust mods, the TB is too big. Also, assuming the 97 has the typical number of miles on it, I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 75,000 miles, it's probably no longer at optimum condition. Hence, my original guess. But who knows...could be a 13.9 car...but definitely not a 12 second car.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

The biggest factor you will face will be overcoming traction issues on a street tire with the 4.10 gearing.

If you manage to use a drag radial or similar tire, low 13's should be feasible.

Driver skill says alot as well. How well can you row the stickshift??

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              The biggest factor you will face will be overcoming traction issues on a street tire with the 4.10 gearing.

If you manage to use a drag radial or similar tire, low 13's should be feasible.

Driver skill says alot as well. How well can you row the stickshift??
              My old 95 Z28 with a SLP TOTL catback, UltraZ ramair hood, HPP+, underdrive pulleys, A4 with 3.23 rear, TB flowpiece, 1LE driveshaft and some "free" mods ran a best of 13.69.

I'd guess your car is a bit faster with the 4.10 gears and a 6 speed. If your engine is running strong and you were able to hook up, Id guess around 13.3 to 13.4.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A

You've got a lot to do to see 12's. Approximately $5,000 worth of work...unless your into Nitrous.
                hmmm... For 5 grand I could go all out with Forced induction, etc... Just for 12's? That's sad.... Got my quest into 13's from 15's with about a grand. Also, I found a web site with 1/4 mile times for stock camaro's... One guy ran a 13.9 with an automatic 97 z28 (bone stock). I'm a good driver, I thought I could do better than that with the m6. Car has about 75K, yes. I thought with the exhaust, gear, and cold air intake I could pull low 13's. I thought the gear really did a lot, like half second gains. No? I'm new to NA's, this is my first one... I'm having a hard time making more power. Man I love turbo's...

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess only time will tell. I'm having the gear and exhaust put in at the same time, so once I get that done, I'm taking it to the track on street tires.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                  I'm having a hard time making more power. Man I love turbo's...
                  So turbo your Camaro... durrr...
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

lol, if I could make it fit. I'm also not crazy about the idea of pulling this motor with such low miles. I'd like to have a powerful NA as well as a powerful turbo. I want my import FI power, and my american NA power

I know the miles aren't that low, but if I was going to turbo this, I would def. put a lower compression piston, 9:1, forged internals, etc... and to me, 75K is too low to rebuild for no real reason other than to turbo it. I would also upgrade the fuel system with a stand alone fuel management, and bigger injectors.

Now I'm talking $$$$$

So what's the low 13, 12 second recipe???

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A

5k to get an LT1 into the 12's!!!

A 3000+ stall and gears are all that's needed for most auto LT1's to see strong 12's. M6's can see 12's with a strong clutch, gears, and CAI. So were talkin' what $1000-$1200.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                        5k to get an LT1 into the 12's!!!

A 3000+ stall and gears are all that's needed for most auto LT1's to see strong 12's. M6's can see 12's with a strong clutch, gears, and CAI. So were talkin' what $1000-$1200.
                        Now that's what I like to hear. Sounds like you know what you're sayin'. Those were my thoughts exactly. I thought the 12 second recipe was CAI, exhaust, and 4:10, thanks for the reassurance.

That 14.0 second estimate sounded WAY too low for those mods.

Comment

To add to this topic, you'll also need a few other things sorted out. An aftermarket torque arm, lower control arms, relocation brackets and sticky tires should be considered a must. I would also recommend PCM program from Ed Wright or similar. While I have no official times with the addition of headers and random tech dual cat Y, I was at 13.05 with an auto (stock converter) and 3.73s. Of course there were other misc. bolt ons and free mods, but a completely stock internal LT-1. The headers and Y should have me in the 12s with a stock converter.

Just for kicks, here are my mods:
                          K&N filter (WS6)
                          Firehawk airbox mod
                          Fernco smooth bellow
                          Air Foil
                          IAT resistor
                          Throttle body heat bypass
                          160º thremostat
                          MSD6
                          LT4 knock Module
                          Delco plugs and wires
                          March underdrive pulleys
                          SLP headers
                          Random Tech Dual Cat Y pipe
                          Borla exhaust
                          1LE trans mount
                          1LE driveshaft
                          T/A rear end girdle
                          3.73 gears
                          BMR Torque Arm
                          BMR tubular lower control arms
                          BMR LCA relocation brackets
                          BMR double adjustable panhard rod
                          Borbet lightweight wheels
                          Firehawk SZ50EPs
                          Synthetic oils

I probably left something out, but that should be about it. The headers and Y should put the car solidly in the high 12s.

The next mods could be LT4 1.6 roller rockers, a 2800 stall speed converter and electric water pump....... should be a solid mid 12 second ride.

Comment

Just keep in mind these aren't guaranteed recipes, but they are very likely considering things like a properly running car and good driving.

Don't let anyone try and discourage you from your goals. Especially those who aren't seeing 12's themselves. Anything is possible!

Comment

I am at mid 13's with what I have now. Rear suspension is a must, and the proper tuning as well. I know I have atleast 2-3 tenths if I can get the tire pressure, LCA's, Torque Arm, and shock adjustments correct. Without the suspension, and nitto's I was at 13.9-14.0.

My car doesn't seem to pull that hard after the 1/8th, and it feels like it is out of breath. Hopefully with SLP shorties/Y-pipe/High flow cat, and 3.73's I will break into the 12's.

The gears will help, but if you don't have the traction to back it up, all you will do is spin the tires.
                              1995 Firebird Formula
                              (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Working...
                              X