spun out and fuel gage is reading wrong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spun out and fuel gage is reading wrong

i don't want to admit this but i recently spun out while driving it wasn't in my z28 it was in a 1990 RS i got a wild hair and tried to take this turn like i do in my Z and i hit that triangle patch of gravel in all intersections... well i shot out sideways and went straight toward a fire hydrant... i hit the brakes and i did a complete 360 and ended up going the right direction... i am lucky i din't hit anybody or anything but i scared the crap outta me. Well i noticed now the fuel gage reads like its full for the first 100 miles but after that it drops to half in the next 50 miles and its on empty in another 25 miles... i don't want to drop the tank but could it be the cluster i've seen other GMs do this too.
    thanks
    Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

my '94 trans Am does the same thing. I was told that if I fixed it, it would just do it again, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that.
    Richard Harvey Jr.
    '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

I think this is a common problem on 3rd gens. The only thing is that it seems no one knows the exact problem. Mine loves to stick randomly while I'm driving. All of the gauges on these cars are notorious for being inaccurate. I know a lot of people over at Thirdgen.org that run Autometer gauges and show just how off these gauges are.

But, anyway, sorry for the rant. I would try swapping in a cluster from another 3rd gen and see if that helps at all. If not, then it probably is the sending unit, which is of course, in the tank .
      1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
      Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
      Trans: TH700R4
      Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

thanks funny thing it sorta working now... i dunno it like said half tank and i filled it up and instead of needing like 10 gal it took barely 6 gal
        whatever i know it broke
        Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

Comment

Working...
        X