TRANNY CONVERSION

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRANNY CONVERSION

hey guys, I might need to replace my tranny. i Have a 97 Firebird Formula and its automatic. How much would it cost for a compelete manual 6 speed conversion. Can anyone reccomend a good 6 speed. any good recs. on a good shifter too? How much for parts and then how much would it cost to install and how hard.

-Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Re: TRANNY CONVERSION

Originally posted by lt14mla
    hey guys, I might need to replace my tranny. i Have a 97 Firebird Formula and its automatic. How much would it cost for a compelete manual 6 speed conversion. Can anyone reccomend a good 6 speed. How much for parts and then how much would it cost to install and how hard.
    DJTaso is doing this right now. He'll have answers. As far as recomending a good 6-speed.... stick with the stock T56.

You'll need the pedals, console boot, master and slave cylinders with hydraulic line, complete clutch with pilot bearing, transmission, rubber shift boot, clutch housing, clutch fork and a few other odds and ends.

I'm not sure if you'll need a different crossmember.
    You can re-use the driveshaft.

Try giving Billy Graham a call to see what he wants for a conversion kit.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I have all the paper work at home, my car is still in the process of being converted. But I can tell you the conversion kit costed me $1,750.00 with shipping.

It came with everything. Pedals, console piece, master cylinder, transmission, shifter, knob, shift boot, etc etc. It also came with the flywheel but it had to be resurfaced. I didn't bother and got a new one instead.

I got my kit at www.lambertsalvage.com off a '97 Trans Am. If you do get the conversion kit make sure its off a '94 - '97 Trans Am or Formula, since the '93's and '98's are different than ours. You might also need to get a wiring harness which is extra (around $300.00).

Also, stay away from Ebay since they only sell the cores, not the complete kit. If you get piece by piece its gonna get really pricey, its not worth it.

I'll report back with all the prices and labor work as soon as I get home.

N20LT4Bird converted his too, I'm sure he can help you as well.
      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

These people sell it as a kit for $1800.
        http://store.tnautoparts.com/
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

That's the old link, Jeff. I found the new one here,

http://tennesseeauto.com/t56swkitforl.html

They got the kit for $2,595.00. Ouch! With that money you can get the kit and have it installed, but it is rebuilt with a 90 day warranty.
          Hercules

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
            That's the old link, Jeff. I found the new one here,

http://tennesseeauto.com/t56swkitforl.html

They got the kit for $2,595.00. Ouch! With that money you can get the kit and have it installed, but it is rebuilt with a 90 day warranty.
            That is the second time they have changed their URL. Thanks.

Their deal used to be $1800 as is used. Then you should get a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, resurface flywheel and you still have a used trans. I'd rather pay $2600 and get it in new conditions.

FYI the cheapest price I have found for a new T56 is $3100. That is just the trans.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

do you guys think its really worth putting it in, or should i just rebuild my trans and keep the B&M shift kit in it.
              -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by lt14mla
                do you guys think its really worth putting it in, or should i just rebuild my trans and keep the B&M shift kit in it.
                Personally, I think you should keep the auto. I would think it would hurt future trade-in or re-sale value of the car. I know I wouldn't buy a car that someone did an auto to manual tranny swap. The buyer doesn't know you from Joe Schmoe. Who's to say they can trust that it was done right. And a dealer would get as far away from it as they can. They won't be able to sell a car with an RPO for an auto trans when it has a 6 speed in it... Not certified anyways...

If I were you, I'd beef up the auto.
                Austin Schroeger
                Looking to Buy 1994-97 F-Body

Comment

Here is my invoice,

SPEC Stage II Clutch #SC422 - $479.99
                  SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel #SC855 - $289.95
                  Wiring Harness - $300.00
                  Labor - $700.00
                  Conversion Kit - $1,650.00
                  Sales Tax (8.5%) - $160.98

Total - $3,580.96

I also purchased the SLP Stage 1 Suspension Kit for $816.95 which comes to a grand total of $4,397.91

Come fall, I'm getting a complete engine rebuilt with a new cam. They said it will be a a 355 with around 400 hp, I'm looking forward to that.

All work done by:

Power House Performance Inc.
                  15552 S. 70th Ct.
                  Orland Park, IL 60462
                  (708) 342-0043
                  www.phpinc.biz
                  Hercules

Comment

I've wrestled with the same decision. I know mine won't last forever and I'll have this car for years to come.

I'll probably end up getting a rebuilt auto tranny from Jasper. For comparison's sake it's $1745 with core exchange. Here's some info from their site at www.jasperengines.com.

TYPE: TRANSMISSION PASSENGER
                    MAKE: CHEVROLET
                    YEAR: 1996
                    MODEL: CAMARO
                    LITER: 5.7 LITER
                    TRANSMISSION: AUTO
                    STOCK NUMBER: 5589280 RWD 2WD P LU,2.73,3.23 AXLE RATIO,CODE 6FFD

IMPORTANT: ADDITIONAL INSTALLATION TIME MAY BE NECESSARY IF TRANSMISSION COOLER REQUIRES FLUSHING.

UPDATES:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. A NEW modified boost valve is installed for a more responsive
                    pressure rise.
                    2. The check ball is removed to help prevent clutch failure.
                    3. For consistant pressure the pump slide is modified.
                    4. Updated shift solenoids and P.S.M. (the pressure switch manifold)
                    are installed for trouble free operation.
                    5. We enlarge the export port to help prevent 3-4 (third-fourth)
                    clutch failure.
                    6. All police and performance applications use an upgraded sun shell.

NOTES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assy/code: 6FFD
                    THIS UNIT IS A 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC ELECTRONIC OVERDRIVE INDICATOR ON STEERING COLUMN MARKED PRN D 321 ELECTRIC CONNECTOR ON RIGHT SIDE IN VETICAL POSITION ON 4L60E IDENTIFICATION NUMBER STAMPED ON RIGHT REAR CORNER OF CASE(PASSENGER SIDE) JUST ABOVE THE PAN. IF NO NUMBER FOUND (1997 AND LATER) IDENTIFICATION NUMBER WILL BE STAMPED ONTO BOTTOM OF CASE, BETWEEN OIL PAN AND EXTENSION HOUSING. 16 BOLT PAN NO MODULATOR

CORE POLICIES:

TO RECEIVE FULL CORE CREDIT, ALL CORES MUST BE LIKE FOR LIKE, WITH NOVISIBLE HOLES OR CRACKS. JASPER WILL NOT ACCEPT "JUNKYARD CORES". FORFULL DETAILS OF THE CORE POLICY, CALL JASPER ENGINES & TRANSMISSIONSAT 1-800-827-7455.

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY:

THE PRICE IS: $1745.00
                    SOLD ON AN EXCHANGE BASIS W/JASPER RECEIVING OLD UNIT AS A CORE.
                    IN STOCK: NO
                    THE PRODUCTION LEAD TIME FOR THIS PRODUCT IS 2 BUSINESS DAYS
                    ***ACTUAL SHIPPING TIME DEPENDS ON YOUR GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION***
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

The only thing is that you really have to beef up the 4L60E to compete with the T56 in the strength dept. Its really not a bad job either - it took me a weekend to do it (with a lift). As far as the resale value goes, it may hurt it if you sell to a guy looking for an all-original show car, but to the average performance buff, it will be more appealing. If you look at mine, you would never know that it was an automatic, unless you went underneith and looked at the wiring harness that was there for the auto. But, even that can be fixed if you buy a manual tranny wiring harness like Taso.

The biggest benifit is the pleasure of rowing through the gears!

PS - I am running the SPEC Stage 3 and the Pro 5.0 shifter. I am pretty happy except for the short life on the clutch disk - but thats to be expected with a performance clutch.
                      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Another couple points....

With an auto the entire transmission needs rebuilding every so-often. With a manual, you just need to replace the clutch.

I dunno about you guys, but I can change a clutch myself in a weekend. I wouldn't even consider rebuilding an auto tranny myself.

The manual is a much more serviceable answer for me, and IMO, it is also much more fun to drive.

Every time I get in my car I challenge myself to shift it better. I'm constantly trying new techniques for downshifing, blipping the throttle and heal and toeing.

How can you challenge yourself with an auto? The computer takes the fun away.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:
                        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Every time I see a tranny conversion thread I always wonder........... how you get a transvestite to convert?

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                            How can you challenge yourself with an auto? The computer takes the fun away.
                            Isn't that the truth. I can't wait to convert mine or get a Vette.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                              Every time I see a tranny conversion thread I always wonder........... how you get a transvestite to convert?

Like I said, How do we make Joe behave.

Comment

Working...
                              X