rocker arm stud resistance, normal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocker arm stud resistance, normal?

I am finally assembling my engine, now that I have all the parts, and when I was putting the rocker arms on (wich are solid, not roller) the adjusting nuts went on with a fight, I only did one because I didn't want to ruin my brand new heads. So I backed it off and the nut was really hot from all the friction? this seemed a little odd to me.
    any words of wisdom
    82 camaro x2:
    82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
    82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Are these stock type rocker arms & nuts - they have a tight fit because there's no jam nuts. What else would hold them on?

Comment

Did you get new studs with your rockers? Did they send the appropriate nuts to go with the studs? 3/8" or 7/16"?

Comment

Stock nuts should initially thread easy and get harder as the nut is completely threaded through. That is because they are "prevailing torque" nuts, so they don't come loose.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I was thinking that same thing, so that they don't come loose.
          I got these rocker arms that came with the ball and nut, the studs were on the heads when I got them. The heads are edelbrock rpm performers, and the rocker arms are 3/8's made by Crane Cams.

they thread on easy, untill they are all-the way thread on, then resistance. I just remember adjusting the rockers on my freinds 5.0L Stang and there was no resistance what so ever....so I was a little confused.
          82 camaro x2:
          82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
          82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

Working...
          X