GTech/Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTech/Pro

Well I had this puppy in cuboard for a while and now that I have all the parts for the ram air upgrade I thought I take it out and try it before I upgrade.

At first I tried the 0-60 option and ended up with following #'s

1st run 6.25 sec.
    2nd run 6.05 sec.

I then tried the HP option and did two runs also but only up to around 80 mph

1st run 228 HP
    2nd run 218 HP

The start to the second run wasn't so good. I had to stop since there were too many cars going by where I was doing this.

I know there are a lot of discussions about the accuracy but I figured for comparison it would be great.

Are the 0-60 #'s acceptable for a stock T/A?
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Doesn't sound that far off to me.

I think stock LT1 for the 285 HP years were doin 5.7-5.9 0-60s. So a 6.0 sounds right there. 6.25 is a little sluggish though.

Auto or Manual? By the HP numbers shown I am guessing auto.

I think those GTechs are pretty good for baselining before mods.

Let us know how it goes!

Sean
    1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

Yep I forgot to mention, it's an A4.
      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Surprisingly, you can pretty much convert 0-60mph times to 1/4-mile times by adding 8.5 seconds, at least in the range of cars running 11.5-14.5 seconds in the 1/4-mile. Your 0-60 times work out to a 14.5 - 14.75-second 1/4-mile, which is a little off what these cars should do. I would expect 1/4-miles on the 14.0 - 14.4-sec range, so the 0-60's would be running 5.5 - 5.9-sec.

What is your altitude? What was the weather? Both of those can have a major affect on power output. Did you make sure the road you picked was perfectly level (extremely hard to do)? One way to correct for the road not being perfectly level is to run it in both directions and average the results.

If you plan to do "before and after" measurements to evaluate mods, you need to use a very consistant launch procedure, and you need to correct for temperature, humidity and barometer. There are online calculators to help you do that.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I had a GTech/Pro for a few years, and while the accuracy was questionable, it was very consistant, which made it great for comparing before and after mods. I wouldn't rely too heavily on what it tells you 0-60 and the quarter though. But if it says you dropped 2 tenths, then it's probably right.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I wouldn't say we are in high altitude. Not even sure what it is here but it's very close to Lake Ontario. The weather was fairly cool today probably around 55 - 60. A hefty cool wind was blowing from the North. Therefore not humid at all.

The starting points of the road are flat but in between are two dibs. I'll try to find a better (straighter) one for another try. I did each "discipline" with runs both ways like you suggested.

To what speed should you go to get a good HP reading? Like I said I went to about 80 mph.

Rene

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I would say to work on your launch. That is a huge factor with 0-60 times. Also, make sure your coolant temp is cool, not close to the red. When I was stock, I did several runs at different times, and here is what I noticed:

Warm day, temp around 220+ deg.
              running for 1 hour
              ok to bad launches
              0-60 ranged from 5.9 to 6.2

Cool night, temp around 200 deg.,
              running for 15 minutes
              decent launches (but not great)
              0-60 ranged from 5.51 to 5.8

Cool night, temp around 200 deg.,
              running for 15 minutes
              very good to decent launches
              0-60 ranged from 5.4 to 5.7

So my conclusions were...whether the G-tech was accurate or not, the coolant temp, and launches were a huge factor in 0-60 times.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I ran my g-tech pro at the track, side by side with the dragstrip timers. I found that the e.t. given by the g-tech was within a tenth every time. Teh mph was off by as much as 5 mph high. On one run the g-tech recorded a 13.15 @ 109 and the strip timers recorded 13.11 @ 105. The results stayed pretty consistent, the ET being darned close, the mph is what is off. 0-60 was 5.01 on good launch but aborted run on a much hotter summer day and regular radials, the next pass was a 13.41 so it seems like Fred's conversion is pretty accurate too.

Comment

so they are worth the money? They are kind of expensive. I kind of have to choose between a Valentine One or the Gtech Pro........
                  my car:
                  '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
                  check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Not the one I use. It sells on Ebay for less than $50. it doesn't have the big screen like the super dooper one but it's all I wanted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=46100

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I ran 0-60 in my stock 96 Z, and got 5.6-5.8 in about 4 runs.

žm was about 14.1 with a passenger
                      99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Working...
                      X