security light?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security light?

security light came on a few days ago and hasn't shut off. How do I make this thing turn off?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

That is strange. Ususally if that light is on, the car will not start.

Do you ever have problems starting it?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I have a similar problem, after I turn it on the light just says on, sometimes goes off during driving, its been like that for a while now, recently its getting worse, soemtimes it wont start, i have to try few times. I figure the pallet on the key is worn, and the ignition cyliner is not getting proper resistence.
      1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
      "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

No problems starting or anything.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Well it has been getting really bad lately, I couldnt start her for 10 minues last night. I went to GM they tested the key the say its fine, what other componenets make up the system, is it just the VATS module, where is it located? :-|
          1993 TA SOLD

Comment

I suggest you do a search on this forum using the word VATS.

We've gone over it quite a few times.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You're right Trace, I just never bothered going into detail search with this problem, but its getting worse lately time to investigate.
              1993 TA SOLD

Comment

Also i went to GM parts dealership, I told them what the deal was If its the new key that i need, they used a tester where the key was inserted, it read fine. He said the module is bad, is that the VATS module or the cylinder?
                1993 TA SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein
                  Also i went to GM parts dealership, I told them what the deal was If its the new key that i need, they used a tester where the key was inserted, it read fine. He said the module is bad, is that the VATS module or the cylinder?
                  9 times out of 10 it is the cylinder. The little contacts in it that contact the key get worn out and no longer contact properly.

You can test this by finding the wire for the cylinder under the dash and inserting a resistor of the identicle value to your key pellet. This will in effect bypass the cylinder, and the car will start.

or... just get a new cylinder and plug in the VATS connector without installing it. Insert 2 keys... One in the steering column and another in the new cylinder. See if the car will start. If it does, install the new cylinder.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

I'm going to order my ignition cylinder tomorrow.

Does it come with new GM keys? Guy said it came with two keys and the cylinder, he doesn't know if their GM or generic. What is it? It's AC delco. Dealer wanted 300 to do it, so I'll be doing it myself.

This should get rid of the light, correct?

Comment

Hey RaroZ28, sorry for kinda taking over your thread.
                      1993 TA SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                        I'm going to order my ignition cylinder tomorrow.

Does it come with new GM keys? Guy said it came with two keys and the cylinder, he doesn't know if their GM or generic. What is it? It's AC delco. Dealer wanted 300 to do it, so I'll be doing it myself.

This should get rid of the light, correct?
                        it should come with a key without a pellet, I'm guessing. You'll probably need to have keys cut with pelets in them from that master. Use a meter to determine the value of the pelet, or the dealership may be able to do it for you.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:

Comment

ugh.... starting to HATE gm now.

Comment

security by-pass

You can by-pass the security feature by finding out the resistance of the key. The security light comes on when the wires that read the resistance of the key become worn, because they are on the outside of the ignition switch. The by-pass is fairly simple and will save you a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein
                              Well it has been getting really bad lately, I couldnt start her for 10 minues last night. I went to GM they tested the key the say its fine, what other componenets make up the system, is it just the VATS module, where is it located? :-|
                              I just went through this for a 2nd time...the VATS module is to the right of the radio screwed to the sheet metal perpendicular to the radio.

To test if its the resistor see if your getting power to your injector or crank fuses, if you are its the module, if not most likely the resistor in the ign. key.

I had to replace the module, and their NOT cheap, but don't pay what GM wants they go for 180.00+ www.gmpartsdirect.com charged me $130.00 including shipping (even though it took 2 wks to get it).

KnightFire
                              1993 Formula Firebird
                              Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Working...
                              X