Fuel pump took a dive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump took a dive

Does anyone know who makes an aftermarket high volume pump for the LT1? What fuel pressure should I be looking for out of a healthy pump?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Racetronix makes the best performance in-tank pump in my opinion. Lots of proven setups have them, lots of happy customers. Hope this helps:

http://www.racetronix.com/Racetronix..._Pump_Kit.html

-Christian

Comment

The Walbro in-tank replacement pump is a pretty popular choice:

http://www.cmotorsports.com/93-97-fb...tml#fuel-pumps

Go with the high pressure pump just to make sure with the NAWZ!! You don't want to blow the welds of your intake manifold gaskets and lose control of your ride in turn 2 of your upcoming Pro Stock race.

Comment

OK, im looking at both of these pumps. The racetronix pump is made so that it will work with the factory module. It looks like they are selling a lot of extra bells and whistles with it. Do I need all of this? Or would it be sufficient to go with the pump that Fast TA has suggested?

Kevin, will that pump work with the factory module?

I would rather spend 129 bucks than 250 (obviously). But if I cant use the factory module with the cheaper pump, than I will spend the money.

THIRD OPTION:

I can get a NEW AC Delco pump with the module for about 200 bucks. My buddy also has a high volume inline pump that I can add to this. I would wire it in with the nitrous arming switch for extra protection. Will the two pumps wired in series be just as good or better than either of the two options above???
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

All of the new Walbro pumps have the correct offset pickup inlet so yes, the Walbro is a direct plug-n-play with your factory module.

Here is a link to a good price on the LT1 kit. It also has the flex hose and foam pump isolator that you can buy online.

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/lt1_kit.html

Comment

The Racetronix stuff appears to be pretty good... they are just a little "light" on instructions, from the posts I've seen on other boards. But their "package" is very well thought out. They will sell you just the pump, or the pump plus the wiring harness and connectors. For high demand fuel systems, the Racetronix wiring is going to perform better than the stock wiring. Nothing kills pump performance more than weak voltage.

If you install an inline booster pump, you can't wire it to the nitrous "arm" switch. The inline pump needs to run all the time. Otherwise it will be a big obstruction for the in-tank pump. It will not hurt anything to run an inline booster all the time - the stock fuel pressure regulator can handle the increased flow.

An inline booster is primarily of interest if you are running a "dry" nitrous system that requires very high fuel pressure to push the extra fuel through the stock (or near-stock) injectors when you spray.

When you look at pump ratings, you have to make sure they are giving you the flow rating at 43.5psi. Often they tell you what the pump will flow.... gal/hr, liter/hr or "HP".... but it is at a very low pressure typical of a carb installation. If you plan to run a higher pressure on dry nitrous, you need to make sure the pump "curve" will support your required flow at that higher pressure. Not all fuel pumps are happy at 90psi.

I like the Bosch fuel pumps - I have one in the tank, and another fed off a sump at the back of the tank - but you are looking at $200+ per pump.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to buy just the walbro pump and forget about the hot wire kit. From what I have discovered by talking to these vendors is that just the pump alone will be fine up to 500 - 600 HP. If I want to do the hotwire later, I think I would just buy the components from Radio Shack for far less than 100 extra bucks.

Comment

I don't know if this helps or not, but I've had a Walbro in my GN for years...... absolutely a killer pump.

Comment

Sure, it helps to know that its gonna be a good pump!

Comment

How big of a job is it to change this thing?

Comment

You can do a search about the fuel pump swap I did on my WS6. It's pretty entertaining, as most of the comedy laced ones are. Think "chop off your arm so you can get the nub in there to do what you need to do" type comedy

You can run the inline pump armed to the nitrous switch, but to do it you have to have one way bypass valves going around it. Fred and I had talked about this way back when I first put my dry kit on, because I had the same question. Apparently, whoever owned the kit before me didn't like the "pump run all the time" idea, so he spent a bunch of money on some 4AN stuff and put in a one way valve. When the nitrous is off, the in-tank pump runs through the bypass valve and around the nitrous booster pump. When the switch is on, it runs through the booster pump getting the pressure up to ~80 psi so the dry kit can work properly. I don't know how much the guy spent on the bypass kit, but it is well worth it to me. This way your booster pump is only running when it needs to. Considering my kit is probably 7-8 years old now, it must be doing something right.
                      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

N20LT4Bird , stop in and pick one up here at New Era Performance , we are right here in Rochester , NY on Ridge Rd. . we sponsor this board as well and only sell them for $105.95 . Give me a call and I will give you directions 585-865-1832 .

Thanks ,
                        Mike
                        www.neweraperformanceparts.com
                        sales@neweraperformanceparts.com
                        585-865-1832
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by new era performance
                          N20LT4Bird , stop in and pick one up here at New Era Performance , we are right here in Rochester , NY on Ridge Rd. . we sponsor this board as well and only sell them for $105.95 . Give me a call and I will give you directions 585-865-1832 .

Thanks ,
                          Mike
                          585-865-1832
                          You gotta be kidding me! I just ordered one up and had it shipped overnight Cost me 135.00 with shipping, which isnt horrible, but I didnt even know we had a good late model speed shop around here. Do you guys do nitrous refills? What do you specialize in?

EDIT: I just looked at your website and I cant *(#*!! believe it. I just dumped 4k into my car in the last 6 months and I had no idea you guys were 15 minutes from my house. That really sucks! But, I know now!

Comment

We don't have a shop , we just sell parts . Come and stop in sometime and we can discuss what we have to offer !

Thanks ,
                            Mike
                            585-865-1832
                            Mike

Comment

now you may have given me an excuse to try that new ferry from TO to Rochester....LOL
                              95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Working...
                              X