160 thermo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 thermo

Can I just put a 160 thermostat in my car without a programer? I've heard people say that it is better to run the car at the normal operating temp than a lower temp. Something about the fuel and timing is better when the normal operating temp.
    2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

Re: 160 thermo

Originally posted by stingant0
    Can I just put a 160 thermostat in my car without a programer?
    Yes.

Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

If you don't lower the fan on/off temperatures in the PCM, you will probably not notice a lot of difference in engine coolant temperatures. In heavy traffic, slow speeds, idling, etc. the coolant temp is going to be right where it was with the stock 180-deg t'stat. At higher speeds, on the freeway, you might notice it running a bit cooler.

Lowering coolant temp actually reduces the engine's overall thermal efficiency = less HP. This loss is offset by a slightly cooler intake air charge because of the cooler intake manifold/head runners, so its little more than a "feel good" kind of mod. And, there will be a SLIGHT loss in fuel efficiency - you might never be able to measure it - and you will see a small increase in the emission of unburned HC's and CO. NOx levels will drop slightly.

Its a full "program" including lower fan on/off temps, and maybe a degree or two of additional timing advance that will give you a small power increase with the 160-deg t'stat.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

So changing your thermostat can lead to failed emissions test?
        1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
        "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Failing would depend on how close you were to the numbers to start with.
          NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
          (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Working...
          X