Trannys BUSTED>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trannys BUSTED>

Well my car(97 Formula) is in the shop and is bad. The drum in the transmission cracked. Theyre saying it happend because of excessive amounts of torque applied to it. They said it could have ONLY happend from a drop nuetral or power brake or some ****. My parents don't belive a word im saying and are giving me all this ****. Ive never done anything like that. the only thing ive done is come out of corners fast(3,500 rpms) and the tires smoke and spin A LITTLE! nothing at all really, but this is costing me $2250 including labor. Is this bull **** or what. They're gonna rebuild the tranny, i suggested bulking it up to hold some more power. I only have K&N, flowmaster, new thermostat, and thats about it. But i do plan on putting some more power adders in there tho. What do you think?

Profanity edited.........next time please do it yourself!
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Do the conversion.... You know what I am talking about.

A 6-Speed conversion will cost you less than the Auto rebuild.
    No F-Body right now

Comment

The reaction shell or "sun gear shell" is known to problematic with the 4L60 / 4l60E. This is one of the most common things to break in these transmissions. The neck collar spline area is weak on the stock shells and they tend to crack right there.

$2250 is absurd! You can have a 4l60E completely rebuilt for about half of that, not to mention that you can buy a performance built 4L60E for much less also.

Check out the Level 1 4L60E here at Combination Motorsports:

http://www.fbodytrans.com/

Comment

The sun shell is prone to cracking. If your low element sprag goes out on a wot or high rpm shift, the sun shell is most likely going to crack at the same time. It doesn't need a neutral drop even though that would surely do it. You do however have to be in the throttle for it to happen in the first place.

As was mentioned, the figure you were quoted is on the high end. I was able to get a trans done with a hardened sun shell, 23 element low sprag and upgraded clutches for $1500, this was replacing broken parts not just a rebuild and included installation.

Comment

$1,000.00 more and get the 6-speed conversion, you'll never have to worry about that again.
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Ditto on all of the above. You dont have to do neutral drops to break that drum. It happens. Take it to another tranny guy because 1. he doesnt know what he's talking about 2. he's WAY overpriced. We rebuild them for about 1300 installed (stock) and then the price goes up from there for upgrades......you can get a lot for 2200+ They are taking you for a ride. Whoever does it, make sure you get the HARDENED shell as a replacement. The cost wont be much more and it will help prevent this in the future.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Just of the topic a little, I was looking at the website FastTA posted , and years are from 94 and up for 4L60E trannys, I have a 93 so i guess it's still the 700r4, any websites with quality built 700r4s?
              1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
              "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein
                Just of the topic a little, I was looking at the website FastTA posted , and years are from 94 and up for 4L60E trannys, I have a 93 so i guess it's still the 700r4, any websites with quality built 700r4s?
                If I remeber correctly: 93 are 700R4 (4L60) because the PCM did not control the tranny in that year, as it did in the later years (E in the 4L60E means electronicly controlled). I've always liked Level 10 for my tranny needs. They have an install shop in NJ but will ship their parts anywhere if you have an installer. www.levelten.com
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

i know this is a stupid question, but what is a neutral drop?
                  I m just trying to find out what I shouldnt do
                  (mine is A4 non PCM controlled 700R4)
                  93 t/a A4 3.23s
                  95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                  99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                  99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                  97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                  93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                  00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

when you rev the car up in neutral and "drop" the shifter into drive while your foot is on the gas still. Kinda like dumping the clutch on a stick, but much more destructive!
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

thanks

Is there anything else I should know to keep the car in good shape?
                      93 t/a A4 3.23s
                      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc

Comment

Originally posted by TRANS AM IN EUROPE
                        thanks

Is there anything else I should know to keep the car in good shape?
                        Cut the carbs!

Comment

cut the carbs hehe, go with the new coke C2
                          1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                          "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Cut the carbs?

Sorry I dont know what that means
                            93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

ok, i got it
                              93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Working...
                              X