LT1 Edit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 Edit?

Has anyone use or still using this. My question is how does it work like do you set the options or do they send you a performance setup to be installed? Will it help on a semi-stock car with the options i have in sig. I am plaining on going full rebuild with heads, intake, cam and shoot for 450 to 500 horse with this program help then?

The website is www.carputing.com
    I LOVE COBRA'S -
    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

PCM = Preformace control module. These are used to change the settings on your computer, it is not a chip(94+ models). Ususally you take it to them and they will configure it for you.... Unless you have a 93, which you will have to get a chip.

-- From what ive gathered off this forum, your better off till you have most if not all of your mods to do the chip/pcm.

-- But you could buy the PCM, and do the configurations yourself as you add mods (94+). Us 93ers are stuck w/ replacing chips.
    99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

I have my Hyper Tech Power Programmer for sale for your year and car. http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...&threadid=5896 It's basically the same thing as LT1 Edit, but with fewer options.
      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

DJ - I dont want to step on your toes here, but I figured Id step in and mention that the HPP is no where near the same as LT1 Edit. I am not an LT1 edit guy or anything. I have never used it, but I have been researching it because I want to start using it. LT1 edit is a pretty sophisticated programming tool. It allows you to mod just about any variable in the PCM. You can adjust fuel and spark curve any way you want, disable or change the function of various systems etc. The HPP is a just a basic programmer that allows you to change a few "preset" things. There arent many variables to it.

I will say that you can really screw up with LT1 edit. Adjust the spark curve to aggresively or lean it out too much and there goes the motor. The HPP is more DIYer friendly and a good place to start with a motor with few mods. Once you start modding, you need to go to LT1 edit or have the PCM (Powertrain Control Module ) programmed professionally.

Oh, if your looking at LT1 edit, check out "tuner cat" at tunercat.com Its very similiar and less expensive.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

No, you're right. The HTPP is a new comer's tool to tuning. It was the first thing I bought for my car, next to my exhaust and air filter. If you don't know what you're doing, LT1 edit can cause some serious damage to your car.

The HTPP is more of a plug-and-go mod if you ask me. The reason I'm selling it is because the shop is going to LT1 edit my car to it's optimal performance. And since they can program it an M6 and correct it to adjust to my 3:73, they said I wouldn't need it any more.
          Hercules

Comment

To my understanding, once you have configured the HPP3 with a specific VIN number it will only work with that VIN number and no others. The HPP3 reads the VIN from the PCM so this would be useless to anyone else besides you DJ.

BTW here are some of the capabilities of LT1 Edit. The HPP3 and LT1 Edit are two different worlds.

http://www3.baylor.edu/~Christopher_...ht/LT1Edit.htm

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              To my understanding, once you have configured the HPP3 with a specific VIN number it will only work with that VIN number and no others. The HPP3 reads the VIN from the PCM so this would be useless to anyone else besides you DJ.

BTW here are some of the capabilities of LT1 Edit. The HPP3 and LT1 Edit are two different worlds.

http://www3.baylor.edu/~Christopher_...ht/LT1Edit.htm
              Yes, you MUST make sure that you hook up the HPP before you bring it to the guy doing the Lt1 edit. You have to reconfigure the PCM, (essentially removing the program) back to stock so that the HPP can be sold. I didnt do this and screwed myself. Luckily Ion at madz28 can fix the problem.....
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                Yes, you MUST make sure that you hook up the HPP before you bring it to the guy doing the Lt1 edit. You have to reconfigure the PCM, (essentially removing the program) back to stock so that the HPP can be sold. I didnt do this and screwed myself. Luckily Ion at madz28 can fix the problem.....
                N20LT4Bird is right.

DJ, if you are willing to "undo" everything you adjusted with your HPP3, then I believe a new VIN can be assigned to use with it.

Comment

I know I have to put it back to stock before I sell it, my car's in the shop right now already unprogramed. Since I'm not going to use it any more I might as well sell it.
                  Hercules

Comment

Plus I alreay have a HPP3 but i was just wondering about the LT1edit program
                    I LOVE COBRA'S -
                    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

There are two available "edit" programs for the OBD-I LT1..... LT1_Edit and TunerCat. Both of them allow you to access the tables required for tuning.... and this can be effective on a stock setup (+15HP from leaning out the power enrichment mode A/F ratio) to an all out high HP blower car (people have figured out how to program around the 1bar MAP limits of the stock PCM).

Some links:

http://www.tunercat.com/

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/ecm_inf...730/qanda.html

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/papers/...html#tablelist

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/papers/prog_101.html
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You can read and save the HPP3 program as a file with LT1 Edit.
                        Then you can return your PCM to stock and sell the prorgammer and still have the tune as a starting point for changes.
                        97 Z28 Vert A4, TPiS Longtubes, Motive 3.73, Powerdyne 6 psi S/C w/ bypass valve, Mad Z28 PCM tune, MSD 6A, #30 SVO Injectors, custom Random dual cat y-pipe. Magnaflow, factory SS rear spoiler w RS skirt kit, Cragar Classic 5 spokes, Line lock, Transgo shift kit,Gearvendors .78 Overdrive for highway.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cub49
                          You can read and save the HPP3 program as a file with LT1 Edit.
                          Then you can return your PCM to stock and sell the prorgammer and still have the tune as a starting point for changes.
                          Yeah, i did that and I can tell you that there isn't much to the HPP program. It was almost laughable how little they changed - That's because, on a stock car, the tune is pretty damn good, it's only the fuel that's a little rich up around 5 grand.

The HPP is a beginner tool, but it is useful for gear changes and changes to shift firmness, etc. And when you graduate to LT1 Edit, the first revalation is that you won't know what half of it does. I'm not sure it is all 100% correct either cause some of the tables and parameters don't make total sense and noone including the guys that wrote it will answer certain questions about how to use it. On the other hand, some guys have gone thru some trouble to make web help sites for the LT1 Edit users and very knowledgable people will help you get started. There is a pretty good instruction file that's included with it these days, but in the beginning, it was a real learning curve.

It's been mentioned that you can wreck your car with LT1 Edit - that's absolutely true. You can also screw up just loading the program (say the Laptop hiccups or the battery is low) and cause the pcm to need repair. If you put in a sizeable cam, HPP won't help you tune the car to run right. Your other alternative, as was mentioned, is Tunercat or sending the pcm for a mail-order tune.

Comment

I sent Ion Soltan my extra PCM and now I have 2 PCM's with the same VIN (LT1 Edit is VIN locked and I'm OBD II)
                            He offers unlimited updates for people who have LT1 Edit.
                            Since I'm putting on my Powerdyne 6 psi s/ch and 30 lb injectors next week I wanted a pro to tune my car.
                            I'll be able to read his tune and save it as a file in case I lose a PCM.
                            I got a bench harness for the PCM so I can safely flash it out of the car.
                            97 Z28 Vert A4, TPiS Longtubes, Motive 3.73, Powerdyne 6 psi S/C w/ bypass valve, Mad Z28 PCM tune, MSD 6A, #30 SVO Injectors, custom Random dual cat y-pipe. Magnaflow, factory SS rear spoiler w RS skirt kit, Cragar Classic 5 spokes, Line lock, Transgo shift kit,Gearvendors .78 Overdrive for highway.

Comment

Way cool. Sounds like you are all set.

Comment

Working...
                              X