evap purge control?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evap purge control?

my 93 ta is throwing a code 26 which is the evap purge control selenoid. i can also smell a fuel odor which im pretty sure is coming from the canister. does anyone know the cause of this would a new selenoid fix this problem or could it be something besides the selenoid. is there a way to test this selenoid?

thanks in advance.
    93 black trans am (under construction)
    cheap gas

On a 93, it could be a faulty purge solenoid, faulty harness wires, bad fuse, or a faulty Quad Driver Module in the PCM. Check the solenoid harness to make sure it has +12V to it with the key in the "on" position. Might be the brown wire.... some years may be different than my 94. If no +12V, the fuse is blown or the wire it bad.

With +12V on one side of the solenoid, ground the other terminal, and make sure it "opens". If the brown wire has +12V, and the solenoid is OK, then its the ground wire from the PCM.... either the wire is bad (check the continuity from the harness connector to the PCM connector), or the QDM. Not sure how you check the QDM, since that is a 93-only setup.

All of this assumes that DTC 26 = Quad Driver #1 in a 93 is the same as DTC 26 = EEC purge solenoid circuit in the 94/95 models. I have never seen any real verification of that assumption.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

theres no voltage at the selenoid. can you tell me what fuse controls the evap selenoid?
      cheap gas

Comment

My Chilton's has a wiring diagram for the 93, and shows fuse #6, 10A. as supplying that circuit, and it also supplies the EGR vacuum solenoid. I think that fuse is in the convenience panel under the hood.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks

it was the fuse. i finally got rid of that pesky ses light.
          cheap gas

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.... I suggest a lot of fixes, but not everyone tells you if it works out.
            Fred

Comment

Working...
            X