hypertech help!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hypertech help!!!!

my speedo is about 20 mph off becuase of gear and tire size change, my friend will sell me his hypertech programmer 3 for $200.00. should i get it, will it mess up my trans if i change my shift points? i have a 160 thermostat, do u think i will notice a change? is it hard to program?
    1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

If you get the programmer, make sure your friend puts is program back to stock or the programmer won't work on your car. You shouldn't have any problem with your trans, but for a little more money you could go to a custom programmer and get a much better program done that will correct your speedo and give yu much for of a performace gain than the hypertech will. There are quite a few programmers around the net. They will cost you anywhere from $200-$400 but I think you get a lot more for your money than you do from a HPP.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

right but i dont want to send in my pcm or anything like that, and im helpiong out a friend, im really only looking to calibrate my speedo, and it is like 500 to get done cuz its electronic.
      1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

most tuners have a program where they will send you a new pcm fully programmed to your specs and charge you a core charge, then when you install it you send back your original pcm and they refund the core charge. That way there is no down time for the car. If your friend needs the money and you're trying to help him out and the price is worth it to you, then it's your decision. The HPP allows you to reset your fan temps which would be beneficial since you have a 160 thermo. You can raise rev limiters and speed limiters, change shift points, hardness, etc... I'm just trying to make you aware that there are alternatives out there.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I think the programmer is a great deal, i have a friend who has a 99 dakota R/T and it took three tenths off his 1/4 mile. Just make sure your friend puts his stock specs back on or else it won't work...it can only program one car at a time.
          2006 Saturn Ion Redline
          2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Unfortunately, the LT1 programming is already fairly aggressive, and the HPP changes very little in the program. Several dyno tests have shown that it might provide 5HP on a totally stock engine, and if you have any mod's at all, it will probably reduce HP. Using the 160deg t'stat + reduced fan on/of temps + the "power programming" may show better gains than that, but you aren't going to see anywhere near 3/10's in an LT1. Even HPP only claimed 0.17-sec gain, if I recall correctly. I've tested it - nada.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X