Encounter with a ricer...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encounter with a ricer...

I've always said it... give credit where credit is due. While 99% of the goofballs with 4 foot spoilers and fart can exhausts have no idea what a real car is... there is a small minority of ricers that are legitimate competitors. I finally encountered one yesterday. He was driving some sort of Civic hatchback -- not the Si or a CRX -- something else. He and another ricer were right next to each other at a stop sign, when the other moron started revving his weed-whacker motor and did a burnout to taunt this guy. Well, the idiot turned away and I pulled into traffic right next to the other guy. We played around a little bit until we found open road. He was behind me, at about 45 mph, I heard him wind up, and he went to the left lane to get a run on me. As soon as he pulled even, I went down to second gear, and to my amazement, he stayed with me. It wasn't until I went to third gear that I started to pull away from him. When we backed down we were around 100, and I had about 1 car length on him. Granted he had a run on me to begin with, but if I had to guess... I'd say that if we ran next to each other at the strip, this guy would only lose by about 2 or 3 car lengths... putting him in the mid 13's. We both looked at each other smiling, appreciating the competition afterwards. Not only was his car the real deal, but he wasn't a jerk either like some of the other ricers who get really ticked off when they realize their 4-foot wing didn't add as much horsepower as they thought it would. It was nice to see someone who had a clue what he was doing
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

There are a few out there that are actually performance oriented, not just visually posing. Your story reminds me of the days when I had a small turbo rice rocket. At the time I tried something other than the traditional V8 rear wheel drive and after applying the basic hot rodding tricks, the car was a little screamer. Dusted countless supposed "performance" cars, but that car brought out the worst in people. Many times they got beat, only to do stupid stuff like try to run you off the road because of being a sore loser. I distictly remember this one 86 yellow convertible Vette. As I ripped through the gears, I could see the horrified look on his face as I pulled on him. We get stuck at the next light together and he starts ragging on my ride, yelling obcenities, etc. So when the light turned, I handed him his butt again.

I guess that is one reason I love this board. People here can appreciate performance, even if it isn't just like their beloved f-body.

Comment

When I'm out cruising, the main people i get attitudes from when crising are the Vette and some Impalla SS guys, never had a problem with a ricer or mustang.

Comment

take it to the track.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I know, I know...
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

your right,there are some out there that can hang.i saw a race once with an 2001 ss and a honda civic hatchback,i tell you that peice kept up they were both really suped up running noz and all kinds of mods in the engine.the ss beat it by about a car, this race was for money and the sour loser said the ss cut him off.
            Miss My Bird

Comment

Working...
            X