Rear-end noise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear-end noise?

I have been driving the T/A a more than usual this past week, manily highway around miles. Going to work this morning I noticed a whining noise coming from the rear. Are my rear-end gears going? If they are, what are a good set and ratio to get that works for a daily driver who is looking for a little extra power for my 95'T/A listed below? If the the noise isn't the gears then what the hell is it? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
    Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

if you're looking for a little extra low end bite, but still keep close to the same fuel [in]efficiency , then i would go with 3.73's....

if you don't really care about gas mileage and wanna really lose some traction, get 4.10's

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
    CAGS Eliminator

Comment

with an auto, I wouldn't go over 3.73. Especially since you want it perfectly streetable. I've always thought 3.42 would've been a good auto ratio, but if you've already got 3.23's it's really aa waste, unless you're replacing the gears already because of breakage or something, which you are.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Ok, so thats most likely whats causing my noise? Thanks a bunch for the insight...

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
        Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 02Z28
          if you're looking for a little extra low end bite, but still keep close to the same fuel [in]efficiency , then i would go with 3.73's....

if you don't really care about gas mileage and wanna really lose some traction, get 4.10's
          4:10's are no no for A4's........... they dont "git it"......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Being a 95, it probably is the ring and pinion. If the noise is much more predominant either in just "gas on" or "gas off" mode, it's the ring and pinion.

The 97-99 cars had horrible axle bearings and if it's just a constant whirring noise that doesn't change gas on/gas off, it's the axle bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by Blevyou know
              Ok, so thats most likely whats causing my noise? Thanks a bunch for the insight...
              ??'s

does it only whine on acceleration?
              does it only whine on de-celeration?
              does it do it all the time?
              only when coasting?
              all speeds?

if it turns out to be the gears.. it will be while before they "go". replace them with gm gears though. most f body folks that tried to save moola and go with richmonds or whatever.. got a whinny rear out of it......... set up is critical too....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Try getting the differential fluid changed. Make sure they add the GM limited slip additive. That stopped the same problem I had that you are describing, and it's much cheaper than changing out the ring and pinion.

Comment

Wolfman, its mainly when I coast, but I still hear it accelerating, only not as bad.
                  Thanks to all of you for the pointers, really appreciate it. Great forum

Comment

Mine makes a constant noise at all speeds; an earlier post commented the wheel bearings were probably shot. I'm going with GM 4:10 Gears and all new bearings; can't wait to feel the difference!!

This is a great forum; has helped me many, many times.....
                    97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by Blevyou know
                      Wolfman, its mainly when I coast, but I still hear it accelerating, only not as bad.
                      Thanks to all of you for the pointers, really appreciate it. Great forum

On another note, if you do get rear end work done (probably the case), I would replace the stock crush sleeve with something a little more sturdy.
                      '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=67

Ratech part number 85-4111 $18.99
                        97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                          4:10's are no no for A4's........... they dont "git it"......
                          i didn't notice if he had that posted in his sig when he first posted this thread, but if so, it was an oversight on my part....and if so, my bad

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
                          CAGS Eliminator

Comment

can you elaborate on why to choose 3.73's over 4.10's in an A4. What are the results withs 4.10's anything bad

Comment

Originally posted by james562
                              can you elaborate on why to choose 3.73's over 4.10's in an A4. What are the results withs 4.10's anything bad

The main reason is for streetability. If you put 4.10s in an A4, you would be keeping your rpms way to high, which would also result in terrible gas mileage.
                              '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Working...
                              X