bad gas!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad gas!?

My dad filled up his 2001 El Dorado at the gas station about .5 miles away from his house and by the time he got home his car just cut off. So he took it in today and was told the gas was bad. They don't know what was wrong with it but they are sending it off to the lab. He has to get a new tank, everything cleaned from the fuel pump to the values and so on. I feel wrong saying what gas station brand it was but to fellow f body owners, it starts with a T and ends in EXACO!!! This mishap will cost $1300 to fix!!!

Does anyone else have any horror stories like this???
    00 Z28, M6 T-Tops

SLP Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust

There was some bad gas going around for a while a month ago or so......havent heard of any recently. I hope Texaco is footing the bill.......
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I have a hard time believeing that the gas was so bad that within a half a mile it shut down the car and caused $1300 in damage. I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, but maybe you'd better get a second opinion. Have there been similar reports about the same station or brand of gas in your area? i know the south recently had problems with Shell (I believe texaco as well), but in that case the gas had too much sulpher and was corroding gas gauge needles, causing them to stick and people to run out of gas.

I can't imagine what could have been wrong with the gas to cause that much of a problem in such a short period of time.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

We are going to save a jar of the gas and take it to them and try to get them to replace it. But if they don't its more expensive to take them to court then to just fix it.

When we get the results back, I will definatly post what the problem was.
        00 Z28, M6 T-Tops

SLP Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust

Comment

If it was defiantely the gas, then obviously there will be more people with this problem. If a number of people come forward with complaints, Texaco will likely step up and offer payment for the repairs since they won't really be able to deny their guilt. If you alone have problems, then it's unlikely you'll ever see money, even if it was bad gas (which it likely wasn't since there weren't any other complaints).

Good luck, and I hope you get reimbursed.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

As the others said there was a lot of bad gas floating around and the best bet is to wait for the gas analisys. If it is really bad then you should have a reason to file for compensation.

Maybe you should go and get some more gas in a container from that same station and make sure to document the purchase and hopefully it's the same gas so you can prove it cam e from there.
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I got bad gas once in my bike, and it was about the same distance when mine shut down. I made one pass at the track, and it died before I even made it back to the pits. This is on an 1/8th mile track, now. So you figure with the drive to the staging lanes, the pass, and the return road that would be about 1/2 mile or so. I'd be all over that gas station in a heartbeat. If they won't foot the bill, send a complaint to planetfeedback.com. They'll get you a response.
              "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Maybe your father put diesel instead of regular.
                1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

haha, when i first saw the title of this thread, i thought it had something to do with eating beans or something.....

but seriously, i hope you guys get this squared away...i'd definitely do what Black97 suggested and go get a gas can filled up from that same station and pay with a credit card, to fully document that it came from that station....then you'll have a better basis for a lawsuit

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
                  CAGS Eliminator

Comment

Working...
                  X