Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear end noise and bad axle bearings ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end noise and bad axle bearings ...

Reading the post about this matter below, and since my car has a slightly rear end noise too all the time, I've been wondering where the axle bearings located and how so easily could they be replaced.
    My car has installed the Spohn's torque arm with -1° angle between the aluminium driveshaft and the rear axle. The GM mechanic told me the driveshaft yokes are fine. The gears are fine too, each 4000 miles I've replaced the oil with GM additive. So these items are not the culprits. But the rear bearings...hmmmm. could be...
    Thanks for your imput.
    Doc
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

The axle bearings are right at the end of the axle tubes. The axle actually rides on the bearing directly, so it is even possible to wear out the axle (they will get a bad groove in them). The axles have to be removed (you have to open up the center cover to remove the c-clips and the axle will slide out) to get to the axle seal and bearing behind it. Typically, it takes a slide hammer to remove the bearings.

If you have any up/down play in the axle in relation to the axle tube, you might want to check them out. When there is a lot of play, the axle will wallow in the seal and cause lubricant leakage at the end of the tube. A roaring or even clunking (or both) sound is common to axle bearing problems.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Rob, thanks a lot...

for the imput. That whinnie sound is bothering in the highway, in fact, is more noticiable when the car runs over cement roads over pavement ones. I tried to rotate the wheels (you know...front ones to backwards and so on).
      I'll check the bearings.
      Regards
      Doc

Comment

Whining is more often attributed to ring and pinion wear or new gears not set up properly. If it changes when you are on or off the throttle, that's usually what it is.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Rob..i'm truly confused...

The GM local dealer mechanic opened the diff case and he did not find any worn signs over the ring and pinion gear tooth, not signs of misalign, even the tooth contact pattern was right, all the components not loose. All the bearings were fine. The oil was clear and the magnet did not have any metal debris. The shafts were fine too. So the mechanic told me about to replace my tires (good pattern yet, 18000 miles Bridgestone Potenza RE730). The noise is changing from pavement to cement roads but the noise is listened at coast, dessacelerating or even braking. So...????
          Besides this, the "O" "seal" or whatever be its name, located in the trans range selector lever was leaking trans fluid. Of course the "thing" was not in stock and even they did not know the right name:seal, "retén" (in spanish).
          Do you know by any chance the right name of that item?.
          This day was a baaad day
          Thanks
          Doc

Comment

Are they stock gears? If theyre Richmonds, they wont show any sign of wear or improper installation, but I know every set of Richmonds ive ever put in have whined a bit. The last set I put in were the Yukon gears in my 12 bolt. They were whining and I actually pulled everything apart and re-did everything again and they were whining just the same. I called Randy's Ring and Pinion and they said "oh yeah, our normal supplier was running short on 12 bolt 3:73's and we bought a few hundred sets from Richmond and boxed them as Yukons." DOh!!
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Yes...

The diff is stock completely, oil fluid changed every 4000 miles with slip additive, no launches, no track...why would have to damage then??..no logic !!
              Regards
              Doc

Comment

I see a shaft seal for the shift lever as GM PART # 8657163 in the parts book.

My stock 3.23s whine on the drive side between about 45 and 60 and I have not abused mine, either.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you're give me the right info....

thanks again Rob..I'm truly dissapointing about GM quality..all that money spent in maintain my car in fine condition, not abuse driving and look what I've earned!!. The whole rear axle price is about 3 grand, the 3.23 pinion and ring about 2100 dollars (GM local dealer)....Do they sleep tight and well???
                  Anyway, I'll replace the shaft seal (thanks a lot Rob),trans fluid and filter. The guy told me the ring has to be installed it from the tranny inside.
                  Take care
                  Doc

Comment

Originally posted by dochidalgo
                    The whole rear axle price is about 3 grand, the 3.23 pinion and ring about 2100 dollars (GM local dealer)....Do they sleep tight and well???
                    Doc

RUUUNNNNNN from the dealer!!! You can have the whole rear rebuilt by an honest mechanic making a good profit for well under a grand. The dealer is the biggest bunch of crooks and half-wit mechanics around. (Ok, so they have a few good techs). Any experience I have ever had, servicing my car at the dealer (usually on recalls) has been negative. You can even buy a nice Strange or Moser 12 bolt that is basicly indestructable for 2400 and then pay a tech 200 bucks to throw it in for you and still be out cheaper. GO to a good tranny or driveline shop, save a few bucks and get good work done.
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

N20LT4Bird, thanks...

..for your advice man.
                      If I have to replace the pinion and ring, I guess, I must replace them with 3.42...Anyway, I appreciate your imput.
                      Take care
                      Doc

Comment

Working...
                      X