need some opti help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some opti help

just got the opti out of my t/a and now i need a female #15 torq to take it apart. where the heck do you buy that at. i have 10 male ones but i have never seen a female version. why must they be difficult. also do i really need to take it apart? is there anything to service in them. it does not apear to have any damage not water or oil build up. just wonder if it has parts that go bad that can be replaced. Also has anyone used the autozone part yet? they say it is a new piece and there are threads talking about it but no one says weather ot not they have bought one yet. while i am asking a million questions i also read about rep[lacing the seals in the timing cover while i have it apart. just curious if there is a page showing how to do this and if i have to remove the cover to do it. one more and i know i will have to grid to fit it but what size plug do i need to use to fill the hole where the shaft for the water pump comes through. some say a freeze plug others say a coin and i was just wondering what size freze plug because i feel this will look better. thanks ahead of time for any help
    1994 Trans Am GT
    http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
    Ram Air hood and airbox
    headers
    exhaust
    lowered 2"
    underdrive pully
    sloted rotors
    electric water pump
    air foil
    denso plugs
    taylor wires
    tinted windows
    eagle rims
    2000 watt stereo

take one of the screws out of the throttle body plate it is the right size. Hold it with pliers to remove the opti screws. Be careful not to mess up the threads while holding with pliers.
    NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
    (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Originally posted by Coop '02Z
      take one of the screws out of the throttle body plate it is the right size. Hold it with pliers to remove the opti screws. Be careful not to mess up the threads while holding with pliers.

Nice tip!
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

This is the tip Fred gave me last spring...it worked really well. I used a set of vice grips on the non-threaded portion of the TB plate screw.

FYI...you need to call Snap-on for the tool or consult e-bay for the Snap-on set of inverted torx...errrrrr!!!
        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Or thread a couple of nuts on the screw and jam them, so you can clamp them with the vise-grips.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You can get female torx at stores, you just have to know which ones. I searched and searched for some for about two months at all the usual places (Sears, Lowes, Wal-Mart ) until I found some at Harbor Freight Tools (not sure if they are nationwide). They are not name-brand or anything but they work just fine. I bet there is a place near you that sells them, and if the suggestions from the guys don't work (although I bet they will), just keep looking.
            1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
            Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
            Trans: TH700R4
            Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Hey Shane - we have a Harbor Freight here - I will see if they have it - will be in Indy next week. If you don't have it by then let me know and I'll pick up the tool for you.
              Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

I'm pretty sure Harbor Freight is nationwide.

Comment

Harbor Freight didn't have them here. I didn't find it at their web-site either.

By the way. www.harborfreight.com. They have some really good deals pretty often.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Okay thanks guys i did not notie the throtle body cover was the same size. i went to sear and they have female torx sockets but they where to big. i am going to go to the hardware store and buy a #15 torx screw cut off the head and weld it to a old screwdriver once i cut the tip off. what a pain why do they have to make thing so difficult
                    1994 Trans Am GT
                    http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
                    Ram Air hood and airbox
                    headers
                    exhaust
                    lowered 2"
                    underdrive pully
                    sloted rotors
                    electric water pump
                    air foil
                    denso plugs
                    taylor wires