Next logical mod?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next logical mod?

OK...what do you guys think my next logical mod to add HP should be? I want to stay N/A. Someone suggested headers? I thought the stock LT1 manifolds were pretty good. Also everone I talked to said headers are a PITA to install. Thoughts appreciated as always.

BTW I have the 160 degree thermostat, LT4 KM and T/B bypass mod all set to go. Just finding the time to get it done.
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

where's the fun if installs don't require some work...headers would be next if you already have a cat back...LT1s sound nasty with a catback and headers. I heard a LT1 with hooker longtubes, no cat, flowmaster...it was niiicce.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by tclelland
      OK...what do you guys think my next logical mod to add HP should be? I want to stay N/A. Someone suggested headers?
      Good suggestion

I thought the stock LT1 manifolds were pretty good.
      You thought wrong!!! LT1 manifolds suck. Headers are the biggest bang for the buck you're going to find. Short if Nitrous at least. BIG gains.

Also everone I talked to said headers are a PITA to install.
      They are, but well worth the invested time. If you can get the front of the car high enough off the ground, you don't even need a lift. It can be done in a matter of a single day with a lot of hard work.

Do you need to stay emissions legal?? Also don't fall for the "long tubes are the only way to do" BS. Yeah, Long tubes are good, I'm not knocking them at all, but they're not you're only option. There's a few mid length headers out there that are on par with the LT's, and keep you emissions legal too.
      Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

an aftermarket y-pipe and hi flo cat will wake your LT1 up, plus mine sounds sweeeet with the addition of the SLP loudmouth. go with a y-pipe and then add some 373's for an auto or 410's manual. you will then need to work on suspension to plant all that extra power.
        lates...
        1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

what's the LT4 KM, i know the LT4 was the firehawk engine but i'm confused about the KM.
          2006 Saturn Ion Redline
          2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

The LT4 Knock Module explanation can be found here: http://www.projecttransam.com/projects1.asp
            2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth

Comment

Makes perfect sense now...about the next mod, what about CAI. That would be the first mod i would do. I always thought you should take care of intake before exhaust, for performance reasons anyway.
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline
              2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

CAI, headers, high flow cat or no cat, LT4 hotcam.. if you have the money and the tools, you could just get the LT4 conversion kit.. you would be sitting pretty sweet then.

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

I would suggest one of the following:

3.73 gears or 1.6 roller rockers.

Headers on a 97 aren't really necessary at your power level yet. The dual-cat manifolds don't "suck" like the single cat cars did. 93-95 cars can benefit greatly from headers, but for the 96+ you really don't need them at your point yet.

the 1.6 rr would be the most economical choice, but you'd likely see a little more performance difference from the gears. If you can afford to, do a cam and 1.6 rr's. If it were me, I'd do the gears. It'd be a good excuse to have your computer reprogrammed for more performance as well, to recalibrate for the new gears. You can save the 1.6 rr's for when you do a cam change.
                  Dave M
                  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

why not? i can see the performance comes in a packaged deal cam, ported heads, makes sense but explain more what power level would headers be necessary?
                    i have dual cats too and i want to do long tubes, but i haven't read to much on long tubes on a LT1
                    Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

Comment

everything I've read indicates the dual cat manifold flow pretty well. That's not to say they can't benefit from headers, but the gains would be small until the engine is making some serious power (350+ hp). Until this point, the exhaust is not the worst restriction in the system. Again, this is what I've been lead to believe. i don't have numbers to back this up.
                      Dave M

Comment

Let me rephrase it a little for you. Why bring in more air if the engine can't efficiently expel the burnt gasses. I.E. why do a cam when you're going to have a choking point at the exhaust manifolds. I'll admit I've heard that the dual cat setup flows "better" than the single cat style, but just what exactly is that based on?? An extremely restrictive piping system. The dual cat system may flow better, but it still is EXTREMELY inefficient when compared to any mid length header (or better) out there. If you throw a cam in now, you're just going to be disappointed with the lackluster power gained out of it. All it takes is one look at a manifold sitting right next to a header, and you'll see the light.

Oh, and please don't get suckered in by the LT4 conversion kit. It's a waste of money. There's plenty of other options out there that will net you more power across the board (a lot more power) for less money. LE and Advanced Induction both come to mind.
                        Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

I agree that if a new cam is put in, then headers would be wise. I just don't think he needs them now, as his next mod. He'll end up with both anyway, I guess. If you get a cam, you need headers to maixmize it's effect. If you get headers, they'll have the most effect with cam and/or heads. So I guess it doesn't matter which he starts with.
                          Dave M

Comment

OK...so it looks like headers are the next logical choice. Then cam and 1.6 rr. If I hit the slots anytime soon I can splurge on the gears and computer tune.

Suggestions for headers? I need to stay PA emission legal and would need to have someone do the install.

Comment

How about these since I am a SLP freek.SLP Headers

Comment

Working...
                              X