NFB: shopping on Chicken Street

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: shopping on Chicken Street

In May I was in Kabul, Afghanistan. We declined to stay in the safe house and instead we enjoyed the hospitality of the Mustafa Hotel. http://www.mustafahotel.com/
    The hotel didn’t have armed guards with AK-47s patrolling its perimeter, but I was assured that it was a safe place.

On Sunday, I returned an hour before sunset to the hotel and decided to check out the shopping on Chicken Street, alone. I had my wallet in a front pocket and my knife on my belt. Chicken Street is a one way, one-lane street, approximately a half mile long. It is lined with carpet, jewelry and antiques stores. Most often they were a combination of all three.

I entered the street with my senses on alert. Ready for most anything. My presence was immediately detected and young boys ran down the street creating a wave of susurrus that rolled down the street. I think they were saying “An American tourist is coming, get ready”!

I entered several shops looking for old brass items. I finally found some things I liked and started the bargaining process. You have to have patience and start real low.

Anyhow a blue nun (Afghan woman in a blue burka) stuck her head in the door and started an emphatic speech. I didn’t know what she was saying since I don’t speak Afghani, but I figured that she wanted some money. This went on with for a few minutes and I ignored her still she started ing and wailing. She was annoying enough and put on a good enough show, so I asked the boy in the shop, what is her problem. He said “husband dead, war”. I gave her a dollar and she left.

Three minutes later another blue nun showed up. I asked the boy “is this the same woman”? He said “No, husband dead, war”. I didn’t want her to start whining so I gave her a dollar and she left.

One minute later a teenaged girl comes to the door. This is really interrupting my bargaining now. She had a week old English language paper. I said “How much”. She said “Twenty dollars”. I gave her a buck and she left.

I concluded by business and walked back to the hotel in the darkness. My three dollars made three people happy. That would not be possible in the USA.

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Yes you're right a little money goes a long way in other countries.

A friend of mine worked in an Asian country where the workers made around a dollar a day whether they worked 8 or 12 hours. He ended up giving his crew a half a dollar each when they were working 12 hour days and they were thrilled and gave him 150 % efforts on the job.

Hard to imagine in the Western world.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Smile

Your seeing a part of the world that very few people in the US can imagine or appreciate what we have here. I think that was pretty cool what you did. Be careful though, they'll start expecting it more and more. The Kids in Balad, Iraq were pretty funny. This kid was trying to sell me an Engliish paper and Banannas. All these other kids were around him too trying to tell me the same thing but this kid kept telling me "No, him 'Ali Babba, Him Ali Babba, I no Ali Babba!" He kept pointing at all these other kids that would steal from me so he let me use his stack of papers as collateral to get a bunch of bannanas for me for guys in my unit. They try to sell fake Marboros and other junk too. Riding back to the base I couldn't stop thinking of that song by the Beastie Boys "Rhymin' and Stealin'" where they go "Ali Babba and the 40 thieves! Ali Babba and the 40 Thieves!" Enjoy your time man. Take plenty of phottos and please be safe.
      Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I can't talk about what I do or where I've been, but I feel a responsibility to represent the USA in all my interactions. I'll have to wait a few years before I tell some other stories. I do have some neat photos that I can send if somebody would like them.

Bob

Comment

When I was in Korea (back when King Tut was a boy) we would have all kinds of theft from local civilians on and off the base. A lot of the theives were called 'Slicky Boys'. We once watched this one Slicky Boy, who was about 65 years old, try to steal a 55 gallon drum of deisel fuel. He had it on a rack on his back and was carrying it away up a large hill. We waited til he got all the way up the hill, then went up there in a jeep and took it back & arrested him for a day or so. A lot of the kids would hang around and we would arrest them just for fun and that way we could feed them a meal. They liked it and we made a game out of it. Actually, theft from the base was largely acknowledged from the command, and it was overlooked - it was considered a form of welfare for the dirt poor locals.

Sometimes the theft got out of hand though. One Slicky Boy tapped into the main gas tank on base and ran some copper line, hoses, pipes, whatever he could put together, and was selling gas out of several hooches about 1/2 mile away in a local villiage. No one would have discovered it, but the Motor-T guys couldn't figure out where the all fuel was going.

Another time, some characters stole the communications lines off the poles to sell for copper scrap. This happenned during war games with the South Korean forces and they were embarrassed because they lost 'face' when the comm lines didn't work and shot the guys on the spot who did it. It's really another world out there - be thankful where you live

Comment

Slicky Boy. Hahaha I haven't heard that in years. You know that the Americans who haven't been to 3rd or 4th world countrys really don't know how good we got it here.

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X