Fuel schrader valve relocation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel schrader valve relocation

I accidentally broke the schrader valve off of the fuel rail today I took it to the local welder to have it fixed, but I told him to weld up the hole where the valve broke off and to move the schrader valve to the front of the rail. This way its not such a PITA to get at. Now, this is where I tap into for the fuel solenoid for the N2O. Can anyone think of any reason why this could be detrimental? It doesnt matter where you tap into the fuel rail does it? Has anyone ever moved the schrader valve before?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
    I accidentally broke the schrader valve off of the fuel rail today I took it to the local welder to have it fixed, but I told him to weld up the hole where the valve broke off and to move the schrader valve to the front of the rail. This way its not such a PITA to get at. Now, this is where I tap into for the fuel solenoid for the N2O. Can anyone think of any reason why this could be detrimental? It doesnt matter where you tap into the fuel rail does it? Has anyone ever moved the schrader valve before?
    Do you mean that you are welding it to the cross-over pipe, between the rails, or p[ossibly on the front end of one of the rails? The only downside I could see is that you are causing a larger mismatch between the fuel pressure on the passenger side rail, compared to the drivers side rail.

The stock Schrader location allows you to measure the pressure at the inlet to the passenger side rail. The fuel for all 8 cylinders flows into the back of the passenger rail, and then the fuel to each cylinder is taken from the total flow. As a result, by the time you get to the outlet of the drivers side rail (the location of the pressure regulator) there is a small difference between the pressure that #8 injector sees, and the pressure that #7 sees. That pressure difference is kept small by keeping the inside diameter of the rails large.

When you take you N2O fuel off the front of the rail, you now have enough fuel for all 8 cylinders PLUS the N2O fuel entering the back of the passenger rail, and the pressure drop in the passenger side rail will be greater than it was before, because there is more fuel flowing through it. Whethere this increased preessure drop is enoug to cause a difference is hard to tell. When tuning for the nitrous, I would be sure to compare the #8 and #7 plugs, to make sure there is not a significant difference in A/F ratio between the cylinders, possibly caused by the extra flow for the N2O connection.

That is why I "split" my fuel rails.... I feed into the back of BOTH rails, and take the return off the front cross-over pipe. That way, only the fuel for 4 cylinders enters each rail, and the pressure differences between the 4 cylinders on one rail are minimized.

Long-winded, but not sure how to explain it any better.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

DO you think the added convenience of the front mount schrader is worth the risk? I am running a walbro 255 HP, I was assuming it would be a negligable pressure drop.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
      X