1/4 mile formula?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 mile formula?

I thought i saw a formula that could give you a 1/4 mile time based on your 0-60. I think it was this forum but i cant seem to find it. Does anyone know about it?
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

I believe fred posted that you add 8.5 seconds to your 0-60 time to get an estimated 1/4 time. I think it was 8.5 seconds.......
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Yes, 8.5 seconds is correct. It's not really a formula, just an observation on most cars that are 12 seconds (in the 1320) and slower.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

That number (+8.5-seconds) was obtained by taking the 0-60MPH and 1/4-mile times for more than 200 cars out of the road test summary pages in Road & Track, Car & Driver and Motor Trend. In the range of 12.5 - 15.5-second 1/4-mile ET's, there is a surprising consistancy in that number. In no case was the error greater than 0.2-seconds.

As the car slows down, the "difference" is reduced.... at 16.5-sec in the 1/4-mile, the difference is 8.2-sec. At 17.5-sec its about 7.5-sec, and at 18.5-sec its only 7.0-sec difference (e.g. - ET = 18.5, 0-60 = 11.5)

I want to get my hands on the data logs from George Baxter's 8.6-second 30th SS convertible..... I would guess the 0-60 is somewhere in the 1.5 to 1.8-sec range.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The reason i ask is...I was looking at the dodge tomahawk, that viper powered motorcycle. Its 0-60 was 2.5, but it didn't have a 1/4 mile listed. Was just tryin to see how insanely fast it was.
          2006 Saturn Ion Redline
          2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

somehow I doubt the formula can be transferred to motorcycles. The physics involved with motorcylces is just too different.... traction, weight, etc...
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

more like weight
              1994 Trans Am GT
              http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
              Ram Air hood and airbox
              headers
              exhaust
              lowered 2"
              underdrive pully
              sloted rotors
              electric water pump
              air foil