First Mods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Mods?

Alright, it's 100% definite, i'm getting an LT1 in the next few weeks. What are the first modifications i should do to it? I don't want to go spending a ton of money. From what i hear, a full exhaust paired with an cold air intake can add 55 horsepower. Is this true? The only problem i have with doing the exhaust is that i want my car to sound good because it's got a ton of power, not because there are a bunch of tubes and chambers amplifying the exhaust tone.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

WHoever told you that those mods would add 55 horse is smoking something funny.......I would be happy to see 20 on a stock engine.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

a cat-back exhaust and cold air intake should be your first mods, but you live in ricerland if you believe they will give you 55 hp. As stated, you'd be lucky to see 20. Horsepower doesn't come cheap. Even with a "full" exhaust, consisting of headers, y-pipe, high flow cat, and cat-back, which would likely set you back $1,000 or more, you wouldn't see more than about 30-40 hp when paired with a cold air kit.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

HAHAHA it's so funny to think about. A civic will a full exhaust system and a cold air intake has MAYBE 100 horsepower. I was thinking of doing a ram air set up. I want to change the hood and maybe just eventually convert the entire front end to look like a 98+ WS6. I wouldn't even bother with the exhaust until i had some more modifications done.
        Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
        SOLD- Kinda miss it
        SOLD- Good riddance!
        2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Ummm...why not just start with a 98+ WS6? If you are considering a conversion to 98+ don't bother - you could just spend the money now on a 98+ get the look your after and get the LS1 with it. I don't know what your budget is but by the time you put enough mods on the LT1 to equal a stock LS1 and upgrade to a 98+ front end you will have far more money wrapped up in it than if you just got the 98 now. Just my .02.

Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

I agree with Casey. Don't buy an LT1 planning on modifing it to look like a 98+. JUst save a little longer if you have to and get the 98. There's nothing wrong with the LT1 (I have one) so don't think I'm saying you should go with an LS1, just be aware there's alot more to a 98+ conversion than swapping in new bumper covers. Do a search of the forum, the topic's been covered before.

Decide what you want and what your budget will allow, and how patient you are. If you want the look of the 98+ and the LS1 power, and have the patience to save the money, do it. If you'd be happy with the LT1's power and looks, or don't want to wait to get your f-bod, go with the LT1. Just don't buy one expecting to make it into something else.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I've been told that the LS1 can't take as much because of its aluminum block. Another thing is, my dads girlfriends father (that's a mouthfull) owns a body shop. I did some interning with him for a high school project so he'd probably give me a decent deal on body work. I just can't wait for an F-Body anymore. I'm 18 now. Exactly two years ago, i was leaving a Tower Records parking lot with my best friend (he was driving). He stopped for a second to do something and i realized that a 2001 WS6 Trans Am was staring at me. I looked up at it and my life has never been the same. I sat in a 95 Trans Am last week and i nearly cried tears of joy. It had 66,000 miles on it, it was a 6 speed and they wanted $7,500 for it. It didn't have t tops though so that's a no no. There's a 95 Z28 in the paper for $5,500 with t tops, leather seats, etc and only 43,000 miles on it but there are two problems. One is that the car is white. I had my Monte Carlo painted and my stepdad refused to let me get it painted any color other than white because he said that it wouldn't show as much so from this, i've developed a seething hatred for white cars. The second problem is that it's automatic and there's no way i'm driving an automatic sports car. People keep telling me that just because it's a 6 speed doesn't mean it's faster than an auto but i don't care about speed as it will only get me a ticket or killed. I want to modify my car but nothing rediculous like a supercharger or nitrous. I want to do stuff with my friend since we never have anything to do together and he's going away to school in September. I have my stepdad to help me out if there's anything mechanical to do but something like switching over to a WS6 hood would be fun.
              SOLD- Kinda miss it
              SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                I've been told that the LS1 can't take as much because of its aluminum block.
                Originally posted by Nightrage
                I want to modify my car but nothing rediculous like a supercharger or nitrous.
                Then it doesn't matter what the LS1 can/can't take.

By the way, that is pretty much an untrue statement anyway for all realistic and tangible amounts of horsepower. In fact, don't stock LT1s typically have more problems than LS1s -- because of the OPTIs and some sort of leak?

If all you want are basic bolt-ons, you'll likely be in the 12s with an LS1... 13s with an LT1. Plus, you want the look of the 98+... all signs here point to saving up just a little bit longer...
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I can get a decent LT1 with around 70,000 miles on it for around $6,500. I could get an LS1 with the same mileage for probably double that, if not more. I'm getting a 4th gen this summer no matter what. I'm sick of . Chances are, i'm getting an LT1 but hey, i'm not complaining about it. I plan on having this car for a VERY long time. I can just work this and then get a 98+ when i'm older. I'd be much more attached to a car that i've spent hours of work on, chosing each and every aftermarket part that goes on it rather than just buying a car with a bunch of stuff on it already.
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Here's an LS1 with 61,779 miles on it for $18,000. There's no way i could afford this.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...r=&cardist=173

Here's an LT1 with 62,600 miles on it for $8,000, $10,000 less.
                    http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...r=&cardist=143
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Not that I would ever buy a car without test-driving it first... but there are similar Trans Ams going for 12K on eBay.

You can do A LOT better than $18K.
                      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Well on average camraos are less then birds, am sure you could find a nice 98+ camaro LS1 for $8000 and up. But if you really have your heart set on a Bird, lsiten to you elders, converting to 98+ front is not worth the money, if u get the LT1 put the cash you would invest in the front clip into the engine, and am sure you woulde be in the high 12's and 13's range.
                        I have a 93 TA, the dreaded speed density, hey 124k not too bad at all, no leaks, tranny shifts fine, all stock, i had her for a year (took a mustang the other weekend),she still probably has her stock opti, itls all about how you treat it and take care of.
                        1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                        "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

For the money that you have, I would prolly get a nice LT1. If it has high mileage, then I'd want to make sure it was a 6spd, because the autos tend to get trashed. (I'm on my 3rd in 170000 miles). If I had the funds when I bought the car, I would have bought a LS1, however, I got a good deal on a 95, so thats what I drive. I can still pull with a LS1 just fine in the quarter with basic boltons, but I get burned on the highway because the LT1's arent as strong there.

I'm thinking a couple more mods to the motor will have me running with the LS1's on the highway and outrunning them in the quarter, all for a total less than what I would have bought a LS1 for.

Go for the LT1!

Comment

I got my 98 Trans Am for $9,000. You just have to be patient and keep looking. It took me about 4 months to find mine.
                            98 z-71 silverado white
                            93 trans am, green, a4, 96 trans am motor swap in progress

Comment

I found an LT1 at a dealership. 6 speed, Trans Am, no t tops but i ca get a nice warranty from the dealer. It covers everything basically other than the clutch and the optispark. $7,500 and it has 65,000 miles on it. If nothing better comes along in the next few days, IT'S MINE!!!!!
                              SOLD- Kinda miss it
                              SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Working...
                              X