HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!

ok this is the problem. i drove my z28 back to mass from florida. it was running great. it is supercharged and has msd ignition/boost control and many other things.. i went for a drive today to pick up an inspection sticker... somewhere... , and i was driving back and all of a sudden the car just stalled going about 40mph. i took it off the side of the road an popped the hood. couldnt find anything obvious. the car does crank but doesnt turn over. im thinking its an ignition module or the coil, or the coilpacks themselves. because its getting fuel pressure to the three injectors at the throttle body tapped from the stator to compensate for the s/c and fuel pressure everywhere else. im still learning these cars an need some help. any input would reallllly be appreciated. again it cranks, but doesnt turn over. we tested the alternator and returning 13.5ish volts dc back to the batt so that seems fine. one other thing after the car was sitting for about 3 hours we went to go crank it again an it turned over! we drove it and then it died again on the street at about 50ish mph. the dash lights came on which said check gauges idk if that will help. PLEASE HELP!! thanks,

-chris

How about a sig. with a little information about your car?

Did your security light come on? Lately the VAT modules have been going.

Just guesses at this point, you may need to get diagnostic codes off the PCM.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Sounds like its opti time- check for a code in your PCM that will verify it. You're right to check your coil and ign. mod. also- I recently had my coil take a dump and it did the same thing as a burned opti minus the code. If you have gas coming to the motor then its definitely some kind of ign. gremlin, short of snapping hard parts like the timing chain.

Comment

pretty sure its coil

im pretty sure it the coil an not the optispark thats gone... because when the car sits for about 4 hours it will turn right over. i think thats consistent with a burn winding in the coil. im going to take the coil out an have it tested at autozone. ill put everything thats in the car in a sig after i get through this problem... lata

-chris

Comment

Have the coil driver module checked as well. They can be prone to heat induced failure as it sits right above the coil on the front of the head.

Comment

ok replaced ignition coil

ok replaced ignition coil but still havin same problem. i didnt really check the ignition module above the coil itself but the idiot at autozone said it looked alright. i just moved back and have minimal tools an no meters! what happened was i replaced the coil no problem. it started up an i let it run for about 15 min. then i decided to take it out around the neighborhood. right as i got ot the top of my street and right at about 200 degree's temp the car just all of a sudden died, no warnings at all very strange and the check gages light came back on. im leaving the car down the street until this evening when it will probably start. i really hope it isnt that optispark because thats a real pain and $. i also have a msd boost/ignition retard box specialy designed for paxton superchargers but i retarded the boost all the way and even let the motor breath naturally but still the same problem... while driving it just stalls and wont turn over again. it will crank though however just wont turn over. please help i just bought this car and i dont want a bad first expirience with an f-body... already had plenty of that with w-bodies! thanks alot

-chris

Comment

tryin new sig

tryin new sig, this is whats in the car...

Comment

There are a multitude of things that it could be. Some sort of scan tool would be helpful in a situation like this to read what the computer is seeing in the various sensors. I would immediatly check for spark and fuel during the no start condition. A spark tester, fuel pressure gauge and digital volt meter are essential. What condition are the plugs and wires?

Comment

Originally posted by paxton350
                  tryin new sig, this is whats in the car...
                  What year dude?

Comment

last night when i checked it i wasnt getting any arcage from the coil output- so there fore it didnt turn over. thats why i thoguht it was the coil. the plugs an wires are in great shape. there is a little bit of corrosion inside the boot that goes from the coil to the opti nipple on the coil end. on the left bank i noticed cyl #3 spark plug was loose but i didnt even bother with it tonight bcuase its dark an its parked at my neighbors house where it died. imma go at it tommorow again. possibly have to take it somewhere cuz i dont want to miss summer nationals in worc. mass. plus i dont have ANY tools since i moved not even any jackstands :/ i was going to jump pins 5 an 6 and see what the comp reads but i still need to find the diagnostic connector on these cars where is it? its a 94 by the way dude. so it does indeed have obd1 i believe. thanks.

-chris

Comment

Originally posted by paxton350
                      .... it will crank though however just wont turn over....

maybe i'm being a little picky, but i think you mean that it turns over, but it won't crank...

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
                      CAGS Eliminator

Comment

idk

idk dude im so fed up with this plus it early in the mornin. are there any f-body enthusiats in mass?

Comment

Originally posted by 02Z28
                          maybe i'm being a little picky, but i think you mean that it turns over, but it won't crank...
                          cranking is cranking.... turning over is actually starting.... he meant what he said
                          Dave M
                          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Cranking and turning over are the same thing. They both indicate that the starter is engaging and spinning the rotating assembly.

Starting is starting.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                              Cranking and turning over are the same thing. They both indicate that the starter is engaging and spinning the rotating assembly.

Starting is starting.

yeah, that's kinda what i was getting at...i've just always used the term "cranking" for when the car actually starts, and "turning over" when the crankshaft actually "turns over" (hmm...) but doesn't actually start (i.e., crank).

doesn't really matter a whole lot, tho....we all know what you meant

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
                              CAGS Eliminator

Comment

Working...
                              X