heater core

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater core

a friend of mine wants to go home this weekend. His home about 2 1/2 hrs away. Anyway... when the heater is on, or even the vent period, the coolent smell is strong. He drive a 90 explorer. I told him not to drive home with it (coolent maybe leaking on wires...maybe?), however I told him I will check with with my car buddies if i was over reacting. What do you guys think? Can he make it 2 1/2 hrs?
    2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

Isn't it like in the 80's in Indiana. Why does he need to drive with the heater on?

The worst that could happen is that it could spring a leak and he would have to have it repaired. The only way to find out is to try. Just my $.02

Comment

if he smells coolant, then it's probably leaking. As long as he keeps an eye on the level, and takes some extra with him so he can refill if need be, he should be okay. As you said in the topic title, it's likely the heater core if the smell is bad in the passenger compartment.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

it most likely is the heater core.....in my thunderbird, the heater core went out on me twice. i had it fixed the first time, then the second time, i just bypassed the damn thing....

but then again, i am in Texas, not really a whole lot of need for a heater around here...

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
        CAGS Eliminator

Comment

thanks guys....and yes it is in the 80's. but blower is always running for some reason... i checked it out...always a slight movement of air. Oh and it doesn't have A/C. I think we will replace the core when he comes back.
          2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

Comment

Working...
          X