Problems with .02 Sensors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with .02 Sensors

Three weeks ago I installed SLP tune length headers, high-flow cats, and y-pipe on my '02 SS. About a week after I installed them I got a "check engine soon" light because of two of the sensors. So, I replaced all of them with Bosch sensors and the problem went away. Or so I thought, because the light just came on again today indicating an .02 sensor issue. Any ideas why I keep having problems with .02 sensors?

Wich DTC do you get in the scanner? The proper diagnosis will be more accurate with the right DTC. You want to clean the harness electrical contacts first with a proper electronic cleaner, as the second step. Do you use O2 sensor safe silicon, if you needed one?; if not, the sensors will be damage each time you replace them.
    My first thoughts only. The experts will reply to you soon.
    Take care
    Doc
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Exactly what the good doctor prescribed..... give us the exact trouble code. Could be slow response, no response, failed heater circuit, excessive rich, excessive lean, etc. Knowing which code you are getting will point you to the problem. Could be a faulty sensor, could be sloppy handling and contamination - e.g. are you using anti-sieze or thread sealer.... not recommended, they come from the factory pre-coated. Are you useing penetrating oil? Could be a wiring problem - did you install extensions? Might be exhaust leaks before the sensor causing a "false lean" condition.

Give us the full codes.

On other thought.... are your headers "coated".... i.e. cera-metallic thermal barrier coating? I've been picking up on a lot of posts with people having problems with "slow" sensor response after installing coated headers. I've been pursuing the possibility of some form of contamination from the "burn-off" on the initial startup with the coating.... but so far no facts to support the theory.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
      X