Cooling system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling system

I falling in love with a 94 red fire bird v 8 auto and very clean. Why would it have the heater by passed and is that worth restoring while I live in florida. I had some interesting questions already answered on this site ref window motors and there appears to be some smart people that have already been through some of things I face.
    '94 formula (red)
    '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9L

First, firebirds came with v-6's. So check on what youre getting first. Maybe its a formula or a trans am? The heater core may be bypassed because it is leaking. Sometimes this is done becasue its a big job to change the core and easier to disconnect the hoses (especially if you live in Florida).
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Or it could be that the throttle body coolant lines had been bypassed. That is a modification that negates HP loss from heat.

Comment

If its a Formula or Trans Am, its still a Pontiac Firebird.

If the core is bypassed at the firewall, could be a case of a leaking heater core, or a plugged heater core. Niether problem would be all that unusual.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thnx for the replies. It's a 94 formula that a lady friend of mine owned and helped her in learning a whole host of Florida traffic regulations. I took it to help her sell it but when I drive it I just get a feeling like when I raced my '57 Chevy convertable through buckets of money and never got this kind of speed/power. It also feels like the front seat of an old Cobra (AH1G kind). Anyway, sometimes you just want to put tools and a few bucks into a machine that has some meat and bone to it. This car has that IMHO, could be wrong but hey! been wrong before. I'm doing a download now and thnx for that. I'll be watching this board alot as I think you guys take this stuff seriously. Happy 4th to all.
          '94 formula (red)
          '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9L

Comment

Working...
          X