Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help! changing fuel injectors, Please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help! changing fuel injectors, Please!

Hi Guys!

I bought some fuel injectors from fastTA and I need your help changing them.

Anybody have pictures on what I need to do. I mean the correct way to remove them without tearing up anything.

I have a problem with hard starting or extended cranking after car has sit for 1 hour or so.

I have replaced the fuel pump and filter. New plugs and wires and Opti spark, EGR valve, map sensor, Iat sensor.

Thanks Lee!
    Lee Stroud in West Virginia

They are simply pushed into place and sealed by an o-ring on the fuel rail side and the intake bungs. You can get a complete new set of injector o-rings at any auto parts store for a few dollars.

To remove them, take a medium sized flathead screwdriver and gently pry the retainer clips up and away from the injector one side at a time. It is a little tedious and takes some time, but just be patient and don't break or bend any too bad and they will all be re-usuable.

Once you have all the retainer clips removed, the injectors can just be pulled out gently from the fuel rail and intake bungs.

Comment

You need to pull up the fuel rails. To do that, you need to release the clamp at the rear/drivers side of the rail that holds the two metal fuel lines. Hard to release, since its a Torx screw and the head is facing down. After you release the lines, you need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the rails to the intake manifold. Be carefull with these, since they are long and thin, and will break.

If you have access to an air compressor, blow any dirt out of the wells in the intake manifold that the injectors fit into.

Release the fuel rail pressure by holding a rag over the Schrader valve and depressing the valve core. Do this only when the engine is cool.

When the 4 bolts are out, disconnect the electrical connectors from the injectors, by pushing the spring clip in against the connector. Then pull the rails up. It works best if you reach across from the opposite side of the engine and pull up on the rail on the other side. All four injectors should pop out of the intake. Repeat on the other rail. May be fairly hard to get the first side up and out.

Have a small container ready.... the first injector on each side will let the fuel in the rail pour out when you remove it. The injector retainer clip should just slide to the side. It doesn't need to be removed from the rail. Then grab the injector and pull it out of the rail, while rotating side to side. As you take each injector off, make sure there is an O-ring on each end. If not (unusual), get a pick, and fish the missing ring out of the intake or the rail.

Reverse the procedure to install. Put a little oil on the edge of each O-ring to lubricate it as you insert it. If you are using SVO or other Ford type injectors, the retaining clip may not fit correctly or be difficult to clip over the injector. I managed to get mine on. Some people just leave them off. I would try to fit the clips on if possible.

When installing the 4 long bolts that hold the rails to the manifold, use a little anti-sieze compound, and do not over-tighten them.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Guys!
        Since I am on vacation this week, I am going to try to get some work done on my Z28!

I will let ya know how it goes.

Thanks Lee!
        Lee Stroud in West Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          You need to pull up the fuel rails. To do that, you need to release the clamp at the rear/drivers side of the rail that holds the two metal fuel lines. Hard to release, since its a Torx screw and the head is facing down. After you release the lines, you need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the rails to the intake manifold. Be carefull with these, since they are long and thin, and will break.

When installing the 4 long bolts that hold the rails to the manifold, use a little anti-sieze compound, and do not over-tighten them.
          How important that is..... you are dealing with aluminum which is very easy to strip out the threads.

I would also recommend being in a well ventilated area......that doesn't even need an explaination as to why.

Comment

Working...
          X