How bad is the Optispark?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is the Optispark?

I'm afraid to even wash my car out of fear of getting water in the Optispark although it's going to rain on it sometime or another so that's a pointless fear. I don't want to use degreaser on the engine bay due to the same fear. If the Optispark system is as bad as people make it seem, why didn't they have a recall on it?
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

What year is your car? Really makes sense to add a "signature" with at least the year of the car, so people can give you a complete answer. Not all LT1's are the same.

Yes, the Opti is extremely sensitive to water. You shouldn't be afraid to wash the outside of the car.. it isn't that bad. But you don't want to spray water directly on the front of the engine. You want to check the weep holes on the bottom of the water pump to make sure they aren't dripping right on the Opti. If you bleed the coolant, or change a radiator hose, be extremely careful. Cover the Opti with rags and plastic.

93/94 models are "unvented" and more susceptible to damage from water. A few drops seems to be able to cause problems. 95-97 models are "vented" to remove ozone formed by high voltage discharge, and are a little more foregiving, but still don't like to get wet.

And remember, the OptiSpark is just a conventional distributor in an unusual loaction, so eventually, it will need a cap and rotor replacement. Many people get 100,000 miles out of the Opti with no problems.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks. I created a signature but i don't know if it shows up . I can't wait to get cracking on this car.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Working...
      X