Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda RX-8

Mazda RX-8

I got to drive my good friends brand new RX-8 this weekend. We took it to a family gathering in Mt. Charleston about 30 min away (off the I-95). The road is ideal for testing a car- being a highway; with strait-a-ways, lots of turns, & hills.

RX-8 info: $26,680 1.3L Rotary engine (2 rotors): 239hp at 8,500rpm /159trq at 5,500rpm - 9,000rpm redline (6 speed). 0-60 - low 6’s & 1/4 - high 14’s. Weight: 3,029lbs, 50/50 weight balancing… and a 4 door! With 18-25 mpg. Fully independent suspension. (Also comes in a 198hp 4 speed trip-tronic - $25,180.)

The RX-8 felt a slow in the low RPM’s, but picked up pretty good in higher RPM’s (definitely not the low end power of an f-bod), but made for a quick little ride… even though I didn’t get to open her up all the way (too many police out on the 4th) I found myself over the speed limit pretty quick. Getting into the turns I left it really hugging the road, and the paddle shifting really helped for coming in and out of turns. Steering was really tight, and very responsive. Seats conformed to my body and were very comfortable. Inside the car felt a little cramped (width wise), it’s definitely not as roomy as my Z… but the back seats could actually be used by adults comfortably! Not to mention the luggage space in the trunk. It was a nice little ride, I’ve been in a few cars... and this one was actually a lot of fun to drive.

For supposedly being in the high 14's, it didnt feel nearly as quick as my Z. I was really for the 'kick in the butt' like being thrown back into my seat... but it never came. The higher end, you could feel it... just not the same as the Z shifting into second!! Exterior - i dont really like the look of the front fenders, but the rest isnt too bad.

-- Im not a big import guy... Especially Mazda... but it was a fun ride.
    99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

I am sure it's a well built car. I just don't like the styling myself. And it's not what I would buy if I wanted a performance car either.
    Dave S
    2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

There's a really pretty girl that drives one around here. She even takes it to the track. I like THAT one.
      LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
        There's a really pretty girl that drives one around here. She even takes it to the track. I like THAT one.
        The girl or the car???
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

RX8

Have one ordered right now, it was time for something different (this was my third 4th gen F-body) The above review is pretty much what I gathered from driving one. It handles very well. I liked the paddle shifting too. I drove the 350, the G35, and the Crossfire, and the RX8 came out ahead mainly because of the back seat. The G35 has it but the pirce is a bit much for where I want to be monthly.
          NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
          (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

How does the paddle shifting work on a manual transmission? I thought that was for automatics only. Thanks!

Comment

It is only on the Auto. The manual option is a six speed, which would be fun buit I sit in too much traffic to get to work to enjoy it. Besides with the paddles the auto acts like a standard anyway. You can also bump shift the auto on the console. Or just put it in D and drive like any other auto.
              (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

I'd rather have a turbo RX7.

The RX8 just isn't as cool as the RX7, and doesn't even compare to the sexiness of the 7.
                99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

I would rather have a 5th gen Camaro, but GM did what they did so here I am going elsewhere for something half-@$$ed. There is just nothing in that price range in that segment that did it for me. So like I said the 8 won because of the back seat.
                  (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Not saying you made a bad choice, just saying that I like the RX7's a LOT more.
                    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Oh yeah I knew you weren't saying bad choice, sorry I wasn't trying to sound p!$$y. I just hate that there was nothing out there that I "wanted" like I did the Z's ('94,'99',02') that I have had...Except for the Vette but again no back seat.
                      (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

The RX-8's are very good at what they are. Sporty and versatile.

It is very hard to get used to a high-end torquey car after growing up with V-8's!

There ought to be an aftermarket turbo kit for the RX-8 by now........

96 TA Sold!
                        87 TA Sold!
                        80 Z28 Sold!
                        74 Formula Sold!
                        73 Z28 Sold!
                        69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Wow, Coop..... that surprised me when I read that you had sold the Z. I can relate, though. I think you made a pretty good choice with the RX-8. I love the styling, and I am a big fan of rotary engines, having driven an RX-7 before my Camaro. I would probably rather have an RX-7, but they don't make those any more, and you could probably slap a turbo on your 8 and get some pretty good power out of it anyway. Not to mention they are extremely fun to drive. Enjoy it, man. And you are going to hang out here with us here even once your Z is gone, right?

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

I was just about to email you about selling it...Sorry you had to hear like this

It should be a fun car for sure.

Yeah I will be here. I have this fear that the RX8 forums will be like 98% of the other ones a bunch of useless people and info. But we'll see.
                            (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
                              I'd rather have a turbo RX7.

The RX8 just isn't as cool as the RX7, and doesn't even compare to the sexiness of the 7.
                              True, but there were lots of problems with this version of the roatary engine... not to mention the twin turbo only put out 250 something HP, versus the non-turbo RX-8 at 239 HP (six speed).
                              99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Working...
                              X