Driveshaft options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft options

I'm putting in 4:10 gears and was either going to have the stock steel driveshaft balanced ($100 with new rear u-joint installed) or spend another $150 and purchase a new ILE #10085375 aluminum DS that will cost me around $250 shipped.

Opinions on which direction I should go? Is the aluminum DS that much better?
    97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

The problem with the stock driveshaft is that it reaches critical speed at less than the top speed of the car. What makes matters worse is a gear change that makes the shaft reach critical speed much sooner. You will be better off with the 1LE aluminum shaft unless you plan on making mucho more power. Then an upgraded aluminum, steel or carbon fiber shaft is the ticket.

Comment

The most HP my car will probably see in the future would be 400HP; is the ILE capable of withstanding that?
      97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Comment

Or, you can try http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33738.

The 1LE is actually smaller (dia.) than the stock LS1...
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I thought I read in some earlier posts where the LS1 DS is not as strong as the 1LE.

Comment

Working...
          X