Steering column assembly question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering column assembly question

I pulled my steerign column last night to tighten up some play that was in the tilt mechanism. I discovered one of the 2 pivot pins was not in tight.

Upon reassembly I discovered a part I am not familure with. I've had columns apart before and never seen a part like this one. It is thin clear plastic, molded funny with different bends and it is a couple inches in size.

I cannot figure out for the life of me where it came from, what it did or why. I'm tempted to just put it back together without it. I'll post a picture of the part with the part number when I get home. I'm out of ideas.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

It is done. I decided to forget about that plastic part, I doubt it was even part of the column because I've had it apart before and never had to deal with it. It was probably just something stuck under the dash somewhere.

Once you get really deep into those steering columns, it is a PITA!! little springs, cogs, push wires and sliders... it makes your head spin. It took me 2 trys to get it right. I greased the U-joint in the column tilt and also greased all the bearings while I was in there. Everything works perfect, and the play is gone completely. The steering column is rock solid like new. If anyone wants to give this fix a shot, just PM me and I'll be happy to help. I found a really cool simple way to remove the pivot pins without the GM tool.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
    X