Too much $$?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much $$?

I'm going to go look at a '95 Z28 sometime this weekend. The car is dark red with charcol leather, 6 speed, T-tops,... pretty much loaded. It also only has 31,500 miles on it. The owner is asking $8750. This is quite a bit higher than kbb private party value. So I guess my question is, is this too much even considering that the car is pretty much like brand new? Thanks for any advice, I'm new to the F-body world

I'd say if it runs well and is in good physical condition, ie... seats look like they've been taken care of, paint is good, no hail damage, or dents, that's not a bad price.

I went and looked at a Yellow '92 Corvette once that was for sale with 22,000 miles on it and they were asking $11,000 for it. From the ad it was like the deal of a lifetime. When I got there it wouldn't start and it looked like it had been sitting outside baking in the sun and buried in the snow and ice in the winter. The paint was pretty rough, like it had been washed, but not ever waxed and the black leather seats were really faded. I walked on that one.
    1997 T/A A4 - 3.23's, SLP 2800 stall, JBA headers, Hooker catback, Borla Y-pipe, SLP CAI, Ported and descreened MAF, LT4 KM, 160 thermo, HPP+, TB bypass, SFC's, STB, 17X9.5 AR Torque Thrust II's, BFG KDW

Comment

just make sure you look at everything, and if your serious about buying a car, spend the money on a carfax report. Check the underbody for rust, overspray if it was in an accident. make sure all the body lines, tread wear is even, check all the fluids, tranny, oil, make sure they aren't burnt or dirty, make sure nothign is burned to the dipstick etc.. good luck on your purchase, just trying to help ya out. if you said kbb had it listed lower for pvt party, talk him down and tell him about the blue book value.
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
      Traded in: 1998 Z28
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Originally posted by hotwhip9
        just make sure you look at everything, and if your serious about buying a car, spend the money on a carfax report. Check the underbody for rust, overspray if it was in an accident. make sure all the body lines, tread wear is even, check all the fluids, tranny, oil, make sure they aren't burnt or dirty, make sure nothign is burned to the dipstick etc.. good luck on your purchase, just trying to help ya out. if you said kbb had it listed lower for pvt party, talk him down and tell him about the blue book value.
        take the printout w/ you.
        99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Look in your local phone book. You should be able to find a company who will send someone out to perform a thorough mechanical inspection of the vehicle that you are interested in.

Here in the San Antonio area we have several co.'s that will do this for around $70. They inspect virtually everything on the vehicle and give you a detailed report. It is worth every penny, and will give you even further bargaining leverage.

Comment

I hear that CarFAX is a load of crap. I interned with a mechanic for an internship at high school and said that half the work he did on these cars didn't even register on CarFAX. They'll also only know about things that are reported such as major accidents. The car may have been in an accident and never reported so it won't even show.
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

i've done over 30 carfax reports recently, and some of them showed up with just regular service visits being reported.....i don't think it's so much Carfax that's to blame, i think it may be more the servicing location in combination with local or state laws.

some areas may require that a service shop report more than other areas, Carfax only reports what has been reported to them

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
              CAGS Eliminator

Comment

Thanks for the advice. One other newbie question for you all if you don't mind. Are there any particular areas/problems I should look at/for with these cars? Thanks again for helping out a newbie who doesn't really know much

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                  I hear that CarFAX is a load of crap. I interned with a mechanic for an internship at high school and said that half the work he did on these cars didn't even register on CarFAX. They'll also only know about things that are reported such as major accidents. The car may have been in an accident and never reported so it won't even show.
                  we tried it in the Govt fleet. dont like it at all . never read a bad report........ hmmmmmmmmmmm

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                  X