Alpine or Eclipse head unit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpine or Eclipse head unit?

I've used Eclipse head units for the last 7-8 years and been very happy with them. They have always been quite a bit better than the Alpine units, but I've heard lately that Alpine is finally making some good head units again.

What do you car stereo buffs think?

What are your guys opinions on the Alpine CDA 9830 head unit?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-K6ypMM...sp?i=500CDA9830

I have the Eclipse CD3424 installed. It might not look like the "coolest" unit: But it is the clearest thing i have ever heard. Stick with eclipse - they are superior.

94 Z28 M6
    K&N Intake, 3"Exhaust, and a few extras
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/606041

Comment

I've never had an eclipse, but my Alpine I currently have (my first Alpine) has been FAR superior to anything previously owned, including a fairly uncommon Sony MD player a few years ago.

I have the Alpina CDA-7894 with the MP3/WMA capability, and my favorite feature is the power. 27 Watts RMS X 4. Awesome power for a internal amp. The sound delay feature is pretty cool also.
      Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

I havent heard either of them outside of the store... but i wouldnt buy it from an electronic stores OR crutchfield, you can find the same thing for alot less if you search.

I recommend Ebay first, just be VERY careful. If not, here are the top 10 car audio sites... http://www.caraudio.com

GOOD LUCK!
        99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Originally posted by jbrunk
          I have the Eclipse CD3424 installed. It might not look like the "coolest" unit: But it is the clearest thing i have ever heard. Stick with eclipse - they are superior.
          Who sells Eclipse online??

I can't seem to find any on the net? Tons of Alpine on the net but no Eclipse. There are a few on eBay but they are mostly used.

Comment

get the alpine. I have the 9815 in the camaro and the 9835 model in my T/A

99 T/A WS-6
            SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
            2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
            88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

I decided on the Eclipse after hearing them side by side at Custom Sounds. There was a pretty noticeable difference. The Eclipse sounded much, much cleaner. No comparison.

I am going to go pickup an Eclipse 5423 tomorrow. It has 5V pre-amp outputs, a very nice built in crossover, and it looks clean. It is also XM ready and I like how it has the dual rotary knobs for control and navigation.

Comment

In my opinion, and any one who ive talked to in any stereo shop i've been in, even if they don't sell alpine, they still recommend it. I have the Alpine cda 7894
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                Traded in: 1998 Z28
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

you made the right choice. if anyone would actually listen to the two side by side, its easy to tell the difference.

94 Z28 M6
                  K&N Intake, 3"Exhaust, and a few extras
                  http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/606041

Comment

My next Purchase will be an Alpine. They are coming out with a Ai-net link for my Apple iPod where the iPod acts like a Hard Drive and you can control the iPod from the from of the Alpine unit. Then you can saftly tuck the iPod away in your glove box. Just think of haveing 10,000 songs at your fingertips at all time. not to mention the hundereds of hours of audiobooks (my favorate for long trips).

I have the link for it if anyone wants it...or you can just find it under news on the Alpine website.

Cade
                    93 Trans Am; Hooker Cat-back;
                    Moroso cia; more to
                    come...hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Cade93TA
                      My next Purchase will be an Alpine. They are coming out with a Ai-net link for my Apple iPod where the iPod acts like a Hard Drive and you can control the iPod from the from of the Alpine unit. Then you can saftly tuck the iPod away in your glove box. Just think of haveing 10,000 songs at your fingertips at all time. not to mention the hundereds of hours of audiobooks (my favorate for long trips).

I have the link for it if anyone wants it...or you can just find it under news on the Alpine website.

Cade
                      The Pioneer DEH-P90HDD has a built in 10GB hard drive. I can't speak as to it's audio performance though.

http://www.radiomancaraudio.com/deta...neer-dehp90hdd

Comment

They are coming out with some crazy stuff now. I remember seeing a show on TechTV (Fresh Gear) , where they reviewed this 20 GB hard drive that fits under your seat, it is outfitted with a wireless antenna, and if you have a home network it will sync your music on your computer to your car. The best part is that it does this automatically when you get into range (pull into your garage). I have heard any thing from them in along time i guess it had a lot of bugs in it.

Only a matter of time, before someone perfects that.
                        93 Trans Am; Hooker Cat-back;
                        Moroso cia; more to
                        come...hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                        X