How much does a stock '97 T/A weigh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a stock '97 T/A weigh?

For the life of me I can not find this answer. I thought for sure in the owners manual, but no luck. Thanks!
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Take a look on the side of your door at the sticker. It should say your GVW. I am pretty sure that they measured that with full tank of gas and 4 passangers. If I remember correctly mine said 41xx lbs. And on my SLP birth certificate my car is said to weigh 34xxlbs. I'll double check both those numbers.
    97 SS #C007
    Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
    SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

A t-top 97 TA is right around 4460-5000 lbs. They will vary quite a bit from car to car.

Edit: OOPS! I meant to say 3460-3500! DAMN!, how in the world did I type 4460-5000 lbs!!

Most LT1 TA's will weigh right around 3460-3500 lbs WITHOUT the driver. Like wolfy said, this is called the curb weight. Titles and the label inside your door jam usually list the GVWR. This is not the curb weight. It the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the recommended maximum combined load to be placed on both the rear axle and the front suspension.

I took my 97 WS6 to a local iron yard that had a scale. They said it was accurate to within 10 lbs. w/o me and w/o the spare tire and jack, mine weighed 3440 lbs.

Comment

Well, the title on my '94 says 4308lbs. I doubt that is right though.
        Richard Harvey Jr.
        '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

THats gotta be the max weight with a full 4 people and luggage. THat just seems ridiculously high.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernSS
            Take a look on the side of your door at the sticker. It should say your GVW. I am pretty sure that they measured that with full tank of gas and 4 passangers. If I remember correctly mine said 41xx lbs. And on my SLP birth certificate my car is said to weigh 34xxlbs. I'll double check both those numbers.
            curb weight is what you want. best thing to do is pull into a weigh station when nobody is there and ask them to weigh you...

Weight Definitions
            Actual Weights
            There are several different types of weights. First, there are actual weights. These include:
            Curb Weight: The weight of the vehicle including standard equipment, oil, lubricants and a full tank of fuel. Does not include optional contents or other optional equipment, the weight of driver, passengers or cargo
            Option Weight: The weight of any added equipment that is not included in the base curb weight
            Passenger Weight: Defined as 150 lbs. multiplied by the number of seating positions, including the driver, that the vehicle can carry
            Payload:
            Gross payload is defined as the weight of all passengers, options and cargo
            Net payload is defined as the weight that can be placed in the truck after subtracting for passengers, optional equipment and cargo.
            Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW): The weight of the vehicle including passengers, options and all cargo

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Well I dont know if this helps but at the track they put you on a scale after you run and my 96 ws6 with me and a half tank of gas was 3740 if I remember correctly. I do know its under 4k, its close but its under that.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
              2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Here's the weight from WS6.com, a 96 T/A WS6. He calls 3760 to be the curb weight

http://www.ws6.com/mycar.htm

When you click on the 3760 you get the scale print out here which I believe includes the drivers weight.

97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

With a few puts and takes... weight removed for weight reduction, and weight added with the roll bar, and other upgrades, my Formula was 3,760# on the scale at the local track (scale had just been certified for the NHRA Nationals), with me in it. I'm about 180# (at least I was at the time). I have never been able to understand why this car is so heavy. I've since taken out a bunch of stuff (bumper pads, exhaust, carpet padding, complete audio system, etc. and I've still only been able to get it to 3,635#. My friends 30th SS convertible is down to 3,525# with him in it, and he is at least 250#.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I think the ls1 cars are lighter anyway.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

got my emissions and it spat out 3790# I guess that's with the tech inside, 3/4 of fuel, and 150# of stereo..

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

With the aluminum block of the LS1's you would assume they would be alittle lighter but they aren't. I've watched lots of f-bods getv on the scale at San Antonio Raceway and they are usually in the range of 3460-3500 lbs curb weight.

A 2002 M6 WS6 is listed from GM at 3495 lbs curb weight.

http://www.new-cars.com/2002/pontiac...fications.html

Comment

Working...
                        X