Power Steering Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Issue

As you all know... I have a 1985 Olds Station Wagon with a 1994 Z-28 LT-1 under the hood. I'm having trouble with the power steering...

I get the sound as if the PS was out of fluid, but attempts to bleed the system have failed to get rid of the problem. At first I thought that it might just be a bad pump, but I didn't have the time or inclination to replace it - it seemed to work fine, but made a lot of noise. Now something has come to light and I'm hoping that you guys can help: The Z-28 has a rack-and-pinion steering does it not? I'm wondering if the Saginaw steering box is too much trouble for the PS pump... what do you guys think?

I'm hoping it's a simple fix - I'm tired of this game of conversion problems...

TIA

Ron

I got this from someone at another site - can anyone here confirm or deny this ...?

"Hey Ron==I wouldn't think that the rack and pinion would be any different as the only thing the pump does is pump p/s fluid. If the fluid is foamy or has bubbles in it I think it may have an intermal leak causing it to svck air. Reguardless, I think the pump is noisy and needs to be replaced. Goodluck, Joe"

Comment

Working...
    X