Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I have crazy fans!

Heres the deal,
    My car keeps overheating. I have flushed the coolant system, replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap. Used that special "stops overheating " Coolant that guantees 40 degrees cooler temps. Nothiong helps. I finally narrowed it down to my fans turn on and off when the want too. From what I picked up from other thread searches the first fan kicks on at 226 and the second at 243 F. and both fans turn on when the A/C is on. And on my car a '93 TA I do not have slow speed and high speed just one speed.
    When I let the car warm up from Idle...sometimes the fans turn on when it gets close to the red mark but, they will both turn on when I turn on the A/c, but when I turn the A/C back off both fans turn off, even thought the temp is a notch from being in the red! THey will eventually turn back on, Hopefully( I think my problem is that sometimes they dont).
    If I turn the A/C back on sometimes the upper fan (Secondary fan?) turns on , sometimes doesnt turn on. It seems the lower fan(primary Fan?) is pretty dependable. Authough it sometimes doesnt turn on when it is about to over heat, of course, then causing it to over heat. Anybody know why my fans are so sporadic? Could it be the coolant temp sensor? If it was one of the relays out then one or more of the fans would not turn on at all, right? And are the fans supposed to stay on when you turn the key to the "on" position and the engine is overheating?

Sorry so long and confusiong,
    Cade
    93 Trans Am; Hooker Cat-back;
    Moroso cia; more to
    come...hopefully!

My car seems to get pretty warm also (93 Z). As long as your car isnt acting 'funny' when the temps get higher, its fine. If you want your car to run cooler, either keep the a/c on (to keep the fan running), or install an electric fan that will run as long as the car is on. The car should get a little cooler when u are driving, because of the air flow. As long as you are NOT on the red, your ok. Its the summer months - its going to be running warm.

-- Unless someone knows a way to change the temp at which the fans come on??
    99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Working...
    X