How to reinstall the shaft seal for the shift lever (8657163) properly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to reinstall the shaft seal for the shift lever (8657163) properly

The seal was replaced twice by GM local dealer mechanic, so unsucceded as it was installed for me . The issue is, the trans fluid keeps leaking. Then, I suppose there is a proper way to install it with success.
    The mechanic had installed from outside of the tranny case, the seal has a rubber center sourrounding by a metal ring. The rubber (seal) ring runs along the shaft and the complete seal seats in the tranny case...I've been used Mobil 1 ATF (syn)....hmmm..smaller molecules = leak??. Anyway, I change the tranny oil with Mobil 1 again, thinking the problem was corrected with the new seal ......bad movement!
    I was wondering in attach there a O ring too....I really don't know how to mend this leak.
    Thanks a lot for your help
    Regards
    Doc
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Anybody???
    Doc
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Perhaps the inner part of the seal needs to be stretched out a little before putting it over the shaft. I have not really looked at one of those seals, but it might be getting folded over or something during installation (like what sometimes happens to the water pump driveshaft seal). I would think a little extra care and attention during install should make it a success.
      I guess another possibility might be if the shaft had a gouge in it. There just isn't that much to it. The book says remove the old seal with a screwdriver and tap the new seal in with a 14mm socket.

Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
      X