Would these rims fit my T/A?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would these rims fit my T/A?

Was reading the tire failure post and I really liked those wheels. I looked on Ebay and found a chrome set. I was wondering if they would fit my 97 T/A and if it's a good idea to have two different sizes of wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43957

Or are there any similar wheels that are both 17"?
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Those should fit your t/a. I've seen a couple t/a and camaro's with those rims on them. Its not really a bad thing to have 17's front and 18's rear but you could get the same rims the same size all the way around either 17's or 18's. I really dont know the good vs bad on splitting the sizes but gm does it with the vette so it must not be that bad. If it is someone around here will be able to tell you.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

The bolt pattern is the same. Where you will have a problem is with the 58mm offset on the rear 18x10.5" wheels. That will put the inside edge of the tire into the inner fender liner. You would need a "spacer" of about 1/4". In general, spacers are not a good idea, since they add stress to the wheel studs. And, with a spacer that thick, you would need to replace the wheel studs on the rear axles with longer studs. You would likely have to cut the outer edge of the jounce bumper bracket off so it wouldn't catch the inside edge of the rim when you jack the car up and the axle starts to drop.

It can be done, but its a bit of a problem. There is an outfit called Performance Wheel Outlet that has the 18x10.5" Z06 wheel with a little less offset, that will eliminate the tire interferencse problem.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred

I'm not a fan of spacers at all and I'm not really wanting to cut anything on the car.

Just liked the rims and thought I ask.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
          Was reading the tire failure post and I really liked those wheels. I looked on Ebay and found a chrome set. I was wondering if they would fit my 97 T/A and if it's a good idea to have two different sizes of wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43957

Or are there any similar wheels that are both 17"?
          Here's a good write-up on what will fit: What fits?

as far as staggering the sizes, the only thing it will hurt is your ability to rotate them....personally, when i upgrade my wheels, i'm gonna go with the same size all 4 corners for just that reason....may not get the best traction available, but i'll be saving money by making my tires last longer (assuming i don't smoke 'em up all the time and drive "normal" )

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
          CAGS Eliminator

Comment

Different wheel sizes arent going to matter if you run directional rubber any ways.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

http://store.triplearims.com/noname1.html

AAA Rims has a better price on those.

Also, you can order 4 17X9.5's and they'll work great. 285's all the way around or you can put 315X35's on the back.

I want these:

96 TA Sold!
              87 TA Sold!
              80 Z28 Sold!
              74 Formula Sold!
              73 Z28 Sold!
              69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Are there after-market center caps to replace the corvette ones?
                I bought 4 18"x9.5" boss motorsports 304's for my 89

Do 4th gens have a different off set for the front wheels as opposed to the back wheels?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Im not sure what size mine are... i think 16"? They have 245's on them, how big can i go on this rim? I know i dont have measurements... anyone know about these corvette rims (besides them being ugly)? haha. Thanks.
                  99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                    Different wheel sizes arent going to matter if you run directional rubber any ways.
                    ummm....ever heard of front to back rotation?

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
                    CAGS Eliminator

Comment

Thanks for the info Mirroedshades

At first I wasn't big on Black wheels on a Black car, but I could definatley live with those.

Rene

Originally posted by Mirroredshades
                      http://store.triplearims.com/noname1.html

AAA Rims has a better price on those.

Also, you can order 4 17X9.5's and they'll work great. 285's all the way around or you can put 315X35's on the back.

I want these:

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by xxRillixx
                        Im not sure what size mine are... i think 16"? They have 245's on them, how big can i go on this rim? I know i dont have measurements... anyone know about these corvette rims (besides them being ugly)? haha. Thanks.
                        The rims are probably 16x8, and if so, will easily accommodate 255's!
                        1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

This guy always has good prices on wheels. I bought the wheels on my Tahoe from him and he was very professional. Shipped quickly as well. I think he said he could get most of the C5 Y2K's and Z06 stuff in black also:

http://stores.ebay.com/TomZ-Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by xxRillixx
                            Those are 16x8 corvette wheels. I am thinking around 87, they aren't 84s or 85s, and 89 and up get even more different. I'll have to do a little research to be specific. Usually 255s are the largest tire to put on there but Michelin used to make an upgraded size somewhere around a 305/40/16, but don't know if they still make it or not.

Comment

I've looked for 16" tires wider than 255 and haven't been able to find anything except "competition" tires. Kumho make a Victoracer in 265/45-16 (8.5" minimum rim width) and Hoosier makes a 275/45-16 (8" min rim) in their DOT Radial road racing tires. These are super sticky tread, short life, no tread depth (hydroplaining), etc. Not for the street.

BFG used to make a 275 tire a few years ago, but it was not a "performance" tire... more of a mid-line item.
                              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                              X