Manual tranny questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual tranny questions

Alright, i got my 95 Trans Am on friday and i got to drive it for 15 minutes before work. I'd never driven a manual transmission before but i think i only stalled it out once (and that was towards the end of the drive). Within 3 hours worth of driving, i had it down and my stepdad trusted me enough to go on the parkway with it. My question is, does downshifting do any damage to the transmission? I've heard several different things. Some people think it does because of that winding down kind of noise. Those people that i know just throw it into neutral and coast. Other people have told me thta it's bad NOT to downshift because downshifting allows the gears to synchronize. It also does the obvious which is saves you from having to replace the brakes to often. Can someone tell me which of these is the right idea or if they're both wrong. Another question- Does 2-3 hours seem like a good amount of time to take to learn how to drive a 6 speed? I know some people that took 3 hours and some that took 2 weeks. Heck, somebody that i know has a 5 speed Iroc and he stalls it out all the time. He's had the car for over a year too. Thanks for any input.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Let me tell ya, all I have ever really owned are manuals and to this day I still find myself stalling out every now and then. I do not think down shifting is bad for the vehicle unless your driving 85 and decide to downshift into 1st! Thats bad. Otherwise no. I like to here the engine when I downshift. It sounds pretty good. Sometimes I throw it in neutral to save on gas or Im just being lazy. I beleive it to be personal reference but Im sure other people will have there own opinion but do what you feel is comfortable. Itll take some time but you'll get it.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

I just pop it in neutral when coming to a stop. It is easier to replace brake pads than clutches, you know. If I'm slowing down to accelerate again after a bit, I will downshift. If I am challenging myself with some energetic driving I will also downshift.

Be carefull not to ride the clutch.. If you are not using the clutch, put your left foot on the dead pedal. Allowing you foot to rest on the pedal will result in unnecessary slippage of the clutch, heat and wear.

One thing I like about manuals is the challenge. Every time you get in the car you can try to drive it better than you did the last time you got in it. It gives you room to improve. With an auto, the computer shifts it perfect every time, leaving nothing (no fun)for you. When downshifting, I like to blip the throttle a bit to bring the RPMs up the what the lower gear requires. That way, the transition is smoother, and there is less wear on the clutch.

A good way to master the clutch is to go to a parking lot and practice starting the car without touching the gas pedal. Use the torque of the motor at idle to get the car rolling in first gear. Once you can do that perfectly every time, start adding gas and you are off.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Downshifting from 85MPH and going to 1st.......i think there would only be one noise- your transmission falling onto the road. This leads me to another question. Is there a lock out for reverse? I don't even want to think of what would happen if i went to go from 4th to 5th and hit reverse instead.
        Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
        SOLD- Kinda miss it
        SOLD- Good riddance!
        2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
          Downshifting from 85MPH and going to 1st.......i think there would only be one noise- your transmission falling onto the road. This leads me to another question. Is there a lock out for reverse? I don't even want to think of what would happen if i went to go from 4th to 5th and hit reverse instead.
          There is a reverse lockout solenoid. If you are going faster than ~3 mph it is not possible to hit reverse.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

[QUOTE=TraceZ] A good way to master the clutch is to go to a parking lot and practice starting the car without touching the gas pedal. Use the torque of the motor at idle to get the car rolling in first gear. Once you can do that perfectly every time, start adding gas and you are off

I had that grandmastered in two and a half hours This car is more fun that i ever imagined........AND I DON'T EVEN GET ON IT!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

it took me all of about 10 minutes to get the hang of driving a stick, and that was after not ever driving one before that. it was a crappy little Renault Alliance, but i had fun in that car....it only cost somewhere in the neighborhood of about $400, and i was real young at the time, so i dogged the hell outta that car....

of course, as everyone who drives a manual does from time to time, i would stall it out occasionally, but for the most part, it just came naturally to me

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
              CAGS Eliminator

Comment

Yeah, pretty much the same for me. I already knew how to drive manual from watching my dad banging gears but the clutch took some time to get used to.
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                  Yeah, pretty much the same for me. I already knew how to drive manual from watching my dad banging gears but the clutch took some time to get used to.
                  I learned manual trans on bikes as a kid. Applying that to a car was no problem. The first time I ever drove a stick in a car was when I drove my brand new 1995 Z28 home from the dealer. I watied 6 months for it custom order. I didnt kill it even once on that run home.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                  X