Who to build LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to build LT1

Who do you guys suggest to build a Supercharged Stroker LT1 to put out around 600 HP. Id be dropping it in a 1st gen camaro, i dont know if you need to know that but its there.
    -ken-
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Second Street Speed
    Perkasie, PA

Not cheap, but extremely reliable, and with a superior track record (pun intended) of big HP LT1's.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Quick question...why does it have to be an LT1? The advantage of a first gen. f-body is that you can drop a low tech/high cube engine without spending a fortune. Have you considered a 502 crate motor?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...12496962&N=120 4294925232 4294918831 305340

or

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...L-108000&N=120 4294925232 4294918831 304410

or any of these from Scoggin-Dickey

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...art&catid=3449

I would stay away from a modern engine for sake of ease. It get's very expensive when dealing with modern electronics. Since the first-gen. is exempt from emissions, why saddle yourself with the burdens? The 502 is a simple engine to work on in comparison to a modern LT1. Parts are cheap and so is labor. Granted, gas mileage is low but who cares. 600 hp is all your after...not 30 mpg
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

well it doesnt have to be an LT1. im just lookin around at options. it can be old tech engine, if i got the 502 would it be able to handle a supercharger?
        -ken-
        ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

wow, i just checked it out and with the Scoggy Dickey i wouldnt even need boost to get what im lookin for.
          ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

I've heard crate engines have a lot of problems... is this true? I was looking for a 302 for my 66 fastback, and was told to NOT go for the crate engines.
            99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Originally posted by xxRillixx
              I've heard crate engines have a lot of problems... is this true? I was looking for a 302 for my 66 fastback, and was told to NOT go for the crate engines.
              From what I know, you've been misinformed...sort of. In a nutshell, you get what you pay for. Some people call a high mileage, mildly rebuilt motor from their local gas station a "crate motor". For me, it's got to be new. The block is usually "well seasoned" which is a plus, but the heads and rotating assembly should be new parts. This type of crate motor is a sure bet. Why? The companies that build them do it all day long. There's very little variation from engine to engine. Plus, the builders are experts at what they are assembling. These crate engine combos are usually chock-o-block full of the best parts from various manufacturers. So, to answer your question...a crate motor is almost always a great engine if you buy from a reputable builder, not Sandeep's Gas-N-Go.

**Disclaimer - No people of actual Asian descent were harmed, ridiculed, shunned, beaten, or tickled in the making of this documentary. Any similarity to any known living, commatosed, or dead persons is purely coincidental...not that there's anything wrong with that.
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Ken(Bone Breakin Chevy)
                wow, i just checked it out and with the Scoggy Dickey i wouldnt even need boost to get what im lookin for.
                See what I mean...you can get a 600hp+ 502 N/A for half of what an LT1 will cost. And the added benefit...no bloody computer to mess with. Granted, the car will be heavy into the turns, but you'll manage. The best thing...ANY mechanic will be able to work on the engine. It's old school technology. I'd ditch my engine if I could. However, it's illegal in most states to install an engine with less emission controls than what was originally installed. Do you know what a could do with an "old school" 427 engine? It would cost me half as much as building a 500 hp LT1 that must remain NJ emissions friendly.
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

so say i wanted it to be lighter going into turns, could i take a small block to 600 HP and have it last a while?
                  -ken-
                  ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

Well, a supercharged LS1 designed with low compression pistons and forged internals would definitely achieve your goals, but at a high cost. Expect to pay about $10,000 for a 600hp capable engine package...when all is said and done (computer, tranny upgrades, ect.) Is weight really that big of a deal? The 502 weighs more...yes, but with the extra money left over, you could build a killer suspension combo to handle the extra bulk AND have a durable engine that will run for years with no problems.
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

so with the extra weight from the 502 id be able to counter that with a good suspension? cus the car will get one either way.
                      -ken-
                      ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X