Sodium fill exhaust valves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodium fill exhaust valves

So, what is the verdict on these things? I know the LT4 used them, and that they were used in 60's era heads, (I believe in the Corvette 427) but do they work? I thought they were superior to standard valves in weight and heat dissapation. So then why do alot of head companies replace the LT4 valve with same sized stainless steel valves? If they are not "increasing" the valve diameter, why not use them?
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    So, what is the verdict on these things? I know the LT4 used them, and that they were used in 60's era heads, (I believe in the Corvette 427) but do they work? I thought they were superior to standard valves in weight and heat dissapation. So then why do alot of head companies replace the LT4 valve with same sized stainless steel valves? If they are not "increasing" the valve diameter, why not use them?
    i ditched em in my 396 ....68 chevelle. bent two of them after installation of the isky rpm 300 high lift cam i installed... i made a mistake of keeping the stock rockers though, after i went to roller rocks..things got better. i went to solid valves and never had a prob though.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

So, does the sodium-filled hollow stem inherently make them weaker at higher rpm? If so, why did GM spec. them for the LT4 motor? Also, doesn't the LS6 motor use them? Or maybe it was the new LS2...I read it somewhere recently...
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

The sodium is intended to cool the valves. But, it doesn't necesarily make for a "streamlined" design. Although the LT4 exhausts are already 1.55", it is typical to remove them and replace them with a valve that produces better flow, typically 1.56" diameter, with a tulip head design. If you are worried about high temperature problems with the exhaust valves - e.g. a 300-shot of nitrous - there are non-sodium filled valves that will flow a lot better while standing up to the heat. The Manley Severe Duty would be a good example.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

So, in summary, does the added benefit of "cooler" valves negate the poor flow characteristics? Apples to apples, will the same size (e.g. 1.55") valve with a tulip shaped head outperform a sodium filled valve? I'm confused as to why GM uses them over a traditional valve with better head design. Perhaps the high compression of the LT4 was a concern?
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

There seem to be two schools of thought on this. The hollow sodium filed valves are lighter that solid ones. If you go with solid valves you will need heavier springs to keep them closed at higher RPMs where as the hollow you you don't need as heavy of spring and there will be a bit less friction in the valvetrain.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Working...
            X