My Stock Car woes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Stock Car woes!

I start the local dirt track Enduro series this Friday, and my car is driving me nuts! I built the engine a few weeks ago, and I finally cracked the starter this weekend as I stabbed the motor and trany last week and welded in the motor mounts. This series requires all factory GM parts so......this morphodite engine has a block from a 70s something or other that I overhauled with a nice cam, center-bolt heads from a '87 suburban, a GM aluminum intake from something to fit the heads, 60s Ram Horn exhaust and y-pipe, and the front serpentine pulleys off the suburban. I also rebuilt the old HEI out of my Blazer. Anyhow, I finally got it started after working with two Quadra-jets. However, both are cr*p, and I have yet another one to bolt on tonight. My EGR block-off plate leaks, my carb has a broken vacuum fitting that I didn't see. There was a broken water jacket in the manifold that I didn't notice which sprayed and filled the HEI with coolant while I was messing with the carb. To top off my weekend...I jacked up two things. First, I forgot to press the dist./oil rod far enough into place...my worst nightmare ensued as the rod came with the dist. when I pulled it and it fell nicely into the oil pan for my afternoon's worth of retrieval. Second, I forgot to go back and torque my water pump bolts as I always let the silicone set first. NICE!!! Anyhow, I need to get this turkey fixed, tuned, and prepped by Friday. I still need to bolt the seat in, set up the harnesses on the roll bar, fix and bleed the brakes, get a new pressure fitted hose for the power steering pump and fabricate a grill. Wish me luck!

Oh, I am pushing the lift rule a little with the 224/224 .465 cam...that part sounded good when I fired it up
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Good luck, I've always wanted to get into racing!
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
    X